Is this right about upgrading?

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
I just used my full upgrade to get my iPhone 4 for $199. Is it true that I will have a full upgrade again after 12 months next year on June 16th 2011 like it says on AT&T and Apple's website? (I thought you got full upgrade after 2 years.)

That would be awesome come time for the iPhone "5"

Also I am the main number on the account. My girlfriend just used her upgrade also for the iPhone 4 and she wont be eligible until February 16th 2012. Is this all correct?

Thanks

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
Sounds right. If your line is the main line on the account and generates more than $99 per month, it becomes eligible for full upgrade pricing at 12 months. Your girlfriends line would be a secondary line on the account and is only generating the additional line fees. That would be why she is not eligible until much later. Upgrade eligibility dates on the iPhone is all about how much that line generates in money.

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
my bill is about 173 a month. that's awesome i didn't expect a full upgrade for next year.

good news even though its 11 months from now :p

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
The ATT contract is 2 years.
So no new iPhone in 2 years unless you wanna pay to break the contract.
This guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Yes, the contract is 2 years. This mean if you try to cancel your service in this time, you will pay an etf. AT&T offers "hardware upgrades" much earlier than this depending on how much your line is generating. Upgrading at a discount starts your 2 year contract all over again.

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
This guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

Yes, the contract is 2 years. This mean if you try to cancel your service in this time, you will pay an etf. AT&T offers "hardware upgrades" much earlier than this depending on how much your line is generating. Upgrading at a discount starts your 2 year contract all over again.
yea haha i knew he was wrong

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I just used my full upgrade to get my iPhone 4 for $199. Is it true that I will have a full upgrade again after 12 months next year on June 16th 2011 like it says on AT&T and Apple's website? (I thought you got full upgrade after 2 years.)

That would be awesome come time for the iPhone "5"

Also I am the main number on the account. My girlfriend just used her upgrade also for the iPhone 4 and she wont be eligible until February 16th 2012. Is this all correct?

Thanks
Even if she was eligible for February 16th 2012, there is a good chance AT&T will push the upgrade up for iphone customers next year. She might not be able to get it on launch day, but she will be eligible around summer time.