Is this right? Modified/Created Date

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Melodeath, May 18, 2010.

1. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

I have a few RAR files I downloaded from the internet. They are sitting in my Downloads folder. These are some of the latest files I've downloaded, but when I sort by Modified and Created Date, they are scattered throughout the folder. The dates the files have are from before I even downloaded them.

I'm used to Windows where I could sort by Modified or Created date and I could see the latest files I downloaded in descending order from the most recent to the oldest. So, is OSX different, am I misunderstanding something, or is there something weird about these RAR files?

Furthermore, when I unpack the RAR files, their modified/created date is not today's date :(

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's the date that the rar files themselves were modified or created.

3. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I can't sort by date downloaded? Also, does unRARing the file modify it?

4. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just find it strange that in the bottom right of the dock, if I click downloads, I have a nice order of when files were downloaded. Then I open the folder in Finder, and there's no way to view this order that I know of. Any ideas?

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This might suit your needs:

With your Downloads folder open, create a new Smart Folder.

Make sure the "Downloads" button is selected at the top

Click on the "+" icon on the right side of the window.

You'll get a line that says Kind is Any. Click on Kind and from the menu, select "Last Opened Date."

Click the Save icon and save it in the sidebar.

mt

6. Melodeath thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, that would be a bit more useful, but is there no option to sort by date downloaded? How does the expanded Download folder view from the dock work/sort so well?

Thanks for the reply

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The Downloads stack in the Dock is using "Date Added," a function that for some reason is unavailable in Finder.

A folder action may help. Having it change the values on any downloaded item by using touch.

See the screenshot. That is all you have to do. Save and attach that action to the Downloads folder, and whenever something is added it will change the "Modified" and "Last Opened" attributes to the time it was added.

Attached Files: