Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
So i have a brand new aluminum MacBook. My concern is my battery.
Here is my info from iStat:

Health: 92%
Cycles 4

I have a friend with the same computer, he has 6 cycles and still at 100% health. Is it possible my battery is defective?

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
istat shows health?:confused:
i thought it only showed charge at the moment? try coconut battery its a little app that checks your battery...

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
So i have a brand new aluminum MacBook. My concern is my battery.
Here is my info from iStat:

Health: 92%
Cycles 4

I have a friend with the same computer, he has 6 cycles and still at 100% health. Is it possible my battery is defective?

uh...did you do the battery calibration correctly? i mean, that would really be the only thing that would have made the measurements a little off...unless your battery is in fact defective...just wait a couple days...see how the battery performs, if youre getting what you think you should be getting (close to 5 hours, according to Apple), dont worry about it...

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
oh okay, I'm not in my comp right now, so I can't check, liek is aid, i find that coconut battery it's an app a lot more precise when it comes to batteries so i would check it with that app, last time i checked my battery it's about a year and a half and it's about 92% so i dont think your brand new one should be at 92 yet I've got well over 100 cycles...

edit: sorry , yes do a calibration before you go crazy...

shady825

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
How are you charging your battery? That is the question... you should let your battery drain all the way down then charge it.... follow this http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html and other tips by apple.. oh and yes istat does show health

I always wait for the warning to come on when u have like 10 min left.
I have never calibrated the battery either. Should I try that?

Thanks for the help guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.