Is this Safe - Superdupering system drive between various machines

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I just bought a new 13 macbook pro.

I used Superduper to clone the drive from my Mac Pro desktop to the laptops drive.

Rebooted, and now my laptop has the exact same system install (apps, files, everything) as my desktop. The system was a fully updated Snow Leopard.

Does anyone else do this? Are there any problems or things I would need to know when cloning the system drive from one machine to another? I've done it a few times, but I'm just never sure if it's foolproof.

Since Snow Leopard has all the files and drivers for every model of mac, I assume that it's cool, right?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

You realize that the Snow Leopard license only allows installation on ONE system, right? So you've broken the EULA.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't do this for a number of reasons.

You may not have the correct drivers for the MacPro, you basically pirating OSX and any applications that forbid running on more then one computer.

4. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Every mac comes with a license for Snow Leopard. The Macbook Pro had Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and a license, when I bought it. My Mac Pro has Snow Leopard 10.6.2, and a license. They are identical pieces of software, I just conveniently coped my preferences, settings, and apps without having to painstakingly reinstall them.

Plus, OS X has all the drivers for every model of mac included, so it shouldn't be missing anythings.

Seriously, I ask benign technical question and I get EULA flak? I've seen this topic come up a number of times about when people buy a new machine, then just mirror their old machine over to it.

5. aplnub macrumors regular

I do exactly what you do.

The only time this is a problem is when a new Mac (with special needs) comes out and you purchase it before the next point update. For instance, if you were running any Mac before the 27" iMac came out you would have a problem installing your 10.6.2 SuperDuper clone on it because the iMac runs a different build of 10.6.2. When 10.6.3 comes out, this problem goes away. Other than that, it has never failed me.

6. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Thank you for this response.

I renamed my laptops network name, since it technically was the same computer as the mac pro on the network, but my "user account" is still the same, both computers have the same short-name and home user name. There have been some irregularities when networking the machines, but I think I got it worked out.