Is this safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r1400sch, Jun 12, 2007.

1. r1400sch macrumors member

I currently have an old powerbook and like to keep a piece of cloth (the stuff you use to clean glasses) between the keyboard and the screen so the keys dont mess up the screen. But a friend recently said it was actually not the best idea because of like fire hazards or somethin. Is there any truth in that? Or is it just a myth?

2. scott85213 macrumors member

I would assume it's safe, as a few people have said they have been using the styrofoam thing that came with their macbooks, and I would assume it wouldn't be any different for the powerbooks.

3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

In theory, it could cause a buildup of static electricity...

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

If your PB gets hot enough to light a piece of cloth on fire, you've got other problems.

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

Depend on what the material is, it might not take much to light something in that situation.

Just make sure you open the lid once in a while, and open the lid up when you do intensive stuff. You'll probably be fine.

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

unless your powerbook is video editing while its asleep, id say your fine.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

don't run it in clamshell mode with the cloth there, but other than that you should be fine.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i've been running my PB 1.5GHz 15inch for years with closed lid and a iskin silicone keyboard protector. the PB is not cooled through the keyboard so there is no problem. the PB electronics dies long before a cloth starts to burn anyway. there was even a company selling some fabric to keep the screen clear from the keyboard when closed.

if there was a serious heat built up maybe my silicone keyboard protector would survive that but certainly not the screen. since my screen is fine i never had too much heat built up when operating my PB closed.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

My point is that the cloth is unlikely to actually catch fire unless the PB is already burning or at such a high temperature that it would melt.

Most oven mitts and potholders are made of cloth, yet don't flame up when you pick up a hot pan of cookies, which I think you'd agree is warmer than an average PowerBook. Unless, of course, you stick the mitt into the open burner flame.

Damn, now I want chocolate chip cookies.