Is this scratch possibly a manufacturing error? (Disclaimer: very tiny scratch)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nazopo, Jul 23, 2013.

1. nazopo macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I have a 2013 Macbook Air and recently I noticed on the outline of the brightness increase screen there is some little scratch or nick of some sort. So I am wondering if it's possibly just a little manufacture error on Apple's part. The only instance where I might of caused the little scratch would be when my 2nd gen ipod shuffle fell on the keyboard, but I highly doubt it could have been my shuffle since it would of had to be oriented and positioned in a place where the thinnest part of the shuffle touched that edge. So it's probably very unlikely. I'm mainly wondering this out since it's stressing me out about the fact that I may have caused it, so I was just wondering if you guys kind of had the same experience of me in these cases.
    I know the picture is blurry but the scratch was so small that even my digital camera had a hard time taking a good photo so I took it with my iphone 5.
    [​IMG]

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

That is a tiny scratch if ever it is. It will get scratches over time. Don't feel bad about it, it is meant to be used and have scatches.

3. nazopo thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks. I am a new macbook owner so I wasn't very sure about how often the computer gets scratches like this, and I didn't want the feeling that I was already being irresponsible with my new mac.

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Don't you worry that was tiny. It will get scratches and it will still work and do the things you wanted them to do.

Stay away from liquids coupled with stupidity though.

5. Zaphyrus macrumors member

Also it's not completely unheard of for any Apple product to have very miniscule scratches (if you can consider them that) out of box. Just look at the whole iPhone 5 issue people were having with their phones being scratches out of the box. Though I'll admit that is a bit more controllable by Apples manufacturing and an extreme example.

6. cookies! macrumors 6502

Small scratches happen. There are people who work 14 hours a day who handle these laptops as they are packed away. If you want a laptop completely free of minor scratches, like a Rolex, expect to pay high prices— $20,000, perhaps, for your laptop, so that the people who make it can spend thrice the amount of time on it. Until then, enjoy your 99% perfect laptop at a savings of $18,000.

7. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Looks like during manufacturing. Specifically the part when a press presses out the openings for the keys. It happens and I don't think it's worth the time or effort to return it for you and Apple. It appears to be more of a mar than a scratch. But I can't perceive depth in the photo. If it's sharp then it may be worth pursuing. If it's not sharp it may just buff out. :D

8. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

You will see that scratch every time you use your notebook, from today till the day you give it away.

If you can swallow it, then keep it. If it will bug you every time you see it, and make you wonder whether you made the right decision not to replace it...Then get it exchanged.

You've spent over a thousand bucks to get the piece, you should get one that is perfect. When mine arrives, if there is so much a microscopic scratch, I will replace it :p

9. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Silly. if you have to blow the picture up 5 times to see the scratch, it's not anything to even think about.

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

There is NO perfect Air, and even f there was, you would do something to make it "not perfect" within an hour. Stop obsessing people.

11. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Apparently, you completely missed the exaggerated humor here.

Anyways. Make up your mind and stop contradicting yourself.
    First you erroneously state that there is no perferct Air. Then you apply if-then on a scenario involving a perfect Air.

First of all, 'perfection' is highly subjective when there is no formal way of measuring.

Even a flawlessly assembled Macbook Air can be 'junk' by comparison for someone who uses a quadcore 16gb laptop.

Op has spent his hard earned or Parent's hard earned money on a premium product. He didn't spend your money. If a tiny scratch bugs him, then by all means he should change it. If someone is spending 1300+ dollars on a dual core laptop, they better be happy when it shows up.

As I said, if the tiny scratch bugs him then he should exchange it as long as Apple accepts it was a manufacturing fault.
    If Apple is willing to exchange it for him then it's clearly a valid defect right?

If Apple turns him away then it is on him to make peace with the microscopic scratch

12. mortenandersen macrumors 6502

No, I certainly disagree with you

nameci wrote:

"Don't feel bad about it, it is meant to be used and have scatches."

It is meant to be used, but NOT meant to have or get scratches - and if you use the MBA in a careful way, the chances are good that you will never ever get a scratch.

But first of all: A fresh and new machine should not at all have scratches or dents, or anything like that - of course not! (And one can also ask: What caused the scratch, and can that injury have caused that other components have being damaged too?)

This is not OCD. Or denial of it:)

13. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Apple won't turn anyone away for these tiny, tiny imperfections. Thats why they are a great company. I don't care what something costs - the expectations for perfection on these boards are out of control - the imperfections people are willing to swap machines for are so incredibly tiny they cannot even be photographed.

If the OP want to exchange, by all means do so. But I will continue to point out silly "imperfections".

14. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

Not to mention that this drives the price up for everyone. No free lunches.

I feel the pain - it sucks getting that first ding in your laptop, car, phone whatever - but that first scratch shall set you free!

my 2009 macbook looks like the car from Uncle Buck but i still love it!
    doesn't mean it didn't break my heart the first time i scratched it.

15. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

That looks horrible! I'd be careful about using that in public, people will run away screaming when the see that damage. You should return it...the refurbished store needs stocking.

16. mattferg macrumors 6502

So many crazy users on this forum complaining about tiny marks... remember that one dude who returned his 5 times? Bizarre.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hmmm. Looks like the Mac of an irresponsible Mac owner. What a shame.