Is this Seagate drive good for my macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachcheatham, Nov 12, 2010.

1. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

I'm trying to decide on a new hard drive to upgrade to. I have a 13" Mid-2009 MacBook Pro. It currently has a 160 GB Hitachi Drive. I've narrowed my decision down to this one:

Seagate Momentus: ST9500325AS

Any thoughts before I pull the trigger?

BTW, I think I'm going to buy it from Walmart via site-to-store.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes. Its a good drive. Many folks here on MR use it including myself, except I have the 7200RPM drive. It's in my MBP that I am using to type this. I installed it about 3 weeks ago and everything is running great.

3. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I'm actually looking into a Scorpio black for my Macbook, quite a few people I know have them and absolutely love them. I have nothing against Seagate though, they've proved very reliable for me in the past.

4. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Thanks for the input! I was going to go with a 7200 rpm one but I checked out my friend's who has it installed and I didn't like the slight vibration it added. Im OCD like that. I did put in a Scorpio Blue before, but it was doing that every 30 second clicking due to the driver compatibility.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Personally I'd recommend the Momentus 500GB XT Hybrid, it's dramatically faster and gets great reviews. I'm typing on the same MBP you have and have been using one for about 2 weeks, it takes about 20 seconds to fully boot!

Also if you buy from OWC, they're experts on Macs and have excellent prices too. If you are interested here is the link to the drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST95005620AS/

If you buy this kit then you can reuse your old 160GB as a backup drive or some additional storage.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/ST95005620AS/

6. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Another question... I know that the WD Scorpio Blue drives have that problem with the drive constantly spinning down and then back up. But do the faster 7200rpm Scorpio Black drives have that same problem?

7. ekidd macrumors newbie

i had the 320gb 7200rpm WD scorpio black in my 13" mbp then switched it out for the seagate momentus xt 500gb 7200rpm HD only because i got it for a great deal. I've had the seagate in for about 2-3 months and everything seems fine to me. Theyre both great drives but the seagate is slightly louder and a tad bit faster than the WD drive.

8. zachcheatham thread starter macrumors regular

zachcheatham

Well I just bought the seagate drive from newegg (walmart was going to take 3 weeks to ship it). Hopefully I won't run into any issues!:D