Is this Seller Legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HelloPanda, Apr 27, 2011.

1. HelloPanda, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

HelloPanda macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a new MacBook Pro. I know searching on eBay is risky, so I'd like your advice on this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Apple-Macboo...o=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&po=LVI&ps=63#ht_952wt_907

The price seems a little too low for a new (I assume never opened) MBP. Do you think some parts were switched out for cheaper replacements? He does have 99% positive reviews, and he's sold MBP before.

Thanks, Hopefully this post does not violate the terms and conditions of these forums.

EDIT: I took a second look and realized that I was looking at a non high res. model. I guess the price seems pretty decent. What do you guys think?

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Don't do it, I've recently run into circumstances where a used mac I purchased from ebay, from an account that's 4+ years old, active, and very highly rated, may actually be stolen. Not worth it at all in my opinion.

3. HelloPanda thread starter macrumors member

Wow, you're scaring me. Can you elaborate?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. HelloPanda, Apr 27, 2011

HelloPanda thread starter macrumors member

Canadian Mother's Day is in early-mid May. I think it's an eBay promotion.

EDIT: I think it coincides with the American Mother's Day.

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

with a 256 gb ssd and 8gb or ram. it seems like a legit price to me. 1700+500 for ssd+100 for 8gb = 2300 ~ about the price he has posted.

7. HelloPanda, Apr 27, 2011

HelloPanda thread starter macrumors member

I think I may pull the trigger on one of these deals in a few months, when Lion comes out. I don't want to have to re-install the OS after getting one with Snow Leopard.

Alternatively, I can wander into an Apple Retail Store and see what custom configurations they have, I have a credit card limit set, that's why I have to resort to either buying straight from retail (and pay using a debit card) or eBay using Paypal. I wish the online Apple Store took interac Debit cards.