Is this setup with Airport Express ok?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xjosh, Apr 9, 2013.

1. xjosh macrumors regular

Hi.
    I just got a Apple Airport Express.

I have my Netgear CG3000 router, but it's giving me bad range.
    I've tried to put it in brigde mode to the Airport Express, but that kills network performance.

So yesterday I tried to set up my Airport Express up as a accespoint via ethernet along with my CG3000 router.

Is it a problem, that my router and airport express beam out wifi 1 meter beside each other? My CG3000 handels the NAT, etc... I get far better range this way, and it dosent seem to kill network performance.

Is this okay, or what to do?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

i would disable the wifi on your old router. but if you can't it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    At the very least you should make sure their channels are something like 1 and 12 though.

you do want the express in bridge mode though, that way your wired and wireless network are combined.

3. xjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much.
    But would that not kill network performance? The Airport Express is only 100mbits wired?

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

what are you doing on your network?

if it's only internet, chances are your internet connection is slower than 100mb.
    my cable company only offers up to 50.

the only time you'll run into that limit, is if you are moving files around your home network.

5. xjosh thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you again.
    I have 50/5 mbits from my provider.
    I have about 15 wifi devices, including Apple TV with netflix, and NAS drive. So perfomance is very important.