Is this site for real?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Sep 8, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I just stumbled upon this site thanks/no thanks to a MR ad. It claims to offer a 3G iPhone for £149....£199 for the 16GB. There's no way its legit is there?

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

my best guess is it's too good to be true.

3. alFR macrumors 68020

In short, scam.

It looks really similar to the scam site that was unearthed a month or so ago here. Here's the WHOIS data for the domain:

In fact, it has the same technical contact as in the WHOIS data for the last site. Created date in particular looks a bit dodgy too. The postcode points to an address on St Andrew St in Cambridge, according to Google Maps - maybe someone on MR who is from Cambridge can confirm if this is actually the shopping centre concerned?

4. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

5. johnrs macrumors 6502a

If something look too good to be true then it generally is......

6. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

I am not interested in ordering from them, however I have used their "contact us" page to ask them a few questions.

I'm just interested to see what sort of reply I get. :rolleyes:

7. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

In the UK I thought that O2 and Carphone Warehouse are allowed to sell the iPhone .. also Apple themselves of course! .. this doesn't fit into any of those categories so it can't be legit .. it's that simple isn't it? ..

Loopy

8. psg2000 macrumors member

it's a BLAG.
    if you Google the address it's actually the apple (official) shop in Cambridge.

9. barryallott macrumors member

Accroding to the Apple site, they are are Unit 12 and not 13. Send an e-mail to the hosting site claiming fraud and this will be taken off

10. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

And the response :

"Hi!

No problem at all - I can see why the price makes people skeptical but after purchasing one myself, I can vouch for this site :)

We sell the Iphones at trade price due to them being bought in bulk and sold on at trade price instead of the normal RRP.
    We also get a lot of the models already unlocked to any network from our supplier - which will work on any network or simcard.
    We also sell the locked version to 02 as per usual.

We do have limited stock of both models at the moment and are awaiting a new batch coming in on Wednesday this week.

Best Wishes
    Adam - AppleUK.net"

Adam at the Apple shop, Adam's Apple....I mean come on.....:p

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

99.99% of members here would obviously see such a scam coming from a mile away.
    BUT, the reason these types of scams exist, is because there's always one n00b who'll not see it coming, LOL. :D

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Or

99.99% of members will assume something that cheap is a scam, therefore they won't buy it. Only enough people buy it so they profit :p. :D

Course that's a stretch. :]

13. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It's obviously a scam as you suspect, but are you saying their advert appeared on Mac Rumors? AFAIK, MR don't have much control over what ads are shown, but it could be the start of a worrying trend if scammers are getting their adverts on one of the biggest mac sites.

14. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup saw the ad on MR whilst reading a thread

15. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

That is very disturbing...maybe there should be some sort of way to moniter who should and shouldn't be able to post ads on these threads.

Not only could it be monetarily detrimental...but, isn't scamming illegal.
    Why would a mac oriented site want to be associated with scammers. :(

Yikes! :confused:

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There guide on the site about the ads, and if there is a bad ad that crops up ... they will work to have it removed from the Google ad pool they use.

MR Guides : Why do I see a certain ad at MacRumors?

17. Al.R macrumors newbie

AppleUK.Net

I love Macs, but if they would allow me to give them the £200 they want for an iPhone and use it with my current sim card and my current phone network, I wouldn't have even bothered to look at the AppleUK.net site.
    Come on Apple, do the decent thing.
    They've never really been to good at customer relations. And this email isn't going to change that either.
    But I'm still going to get an iPhone if they'll let me on my terms, and I'm not going to stop buying Macs. Cest la vie.

18. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

That sounds very time intensive...although, I am glad to see it. :D

19. doobi18 macrumors 6502

my general rule of thumb is if there is no "terms of use" / "privacy policy" etc ******** at the bottom of the page, it's a con :):):)

20. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

This site has reverted to the same fake suspended page ishopuk did. So its the same people behind it still trying to set up other scams.

3G phone is coming out as pay as you go in a week or so. Don't trust any of these cut price iphone sites, they are either complete scams or stolen goods.

21. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

It was too good to be true after all...surprise suprise