Is this sound normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lurrego, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lurrego macrumors member

I just got one of the 2011 15in MBP's and after a week or so, I began to notice a strange, almost creaking sound whenever I would hold it. here is what I did:

after it was turned off, all unplugged and closed, I grabbed it with one hand. I immediately noticed the creak and at once put it up against my ear. I realized that if you hold it upside down and lightly press on the middle of it, you can recreate the sound.

Is this normal? Does anybody else have this sound coming from their MBP unibody when doing this? It may be normal, but I'm just making sure it isn't some structural issue that could cause my holding it to eventually have the insides collapse or something

2. lurrego thread starter macrumors member

given that its the macbook pro subforum, Im pretty sure at least one of the 51 viewers has a macbook pro... anyone at all that can try this out?

3. iZero macrumors regular

Holding my 17 inch upside down, and lightly pressing on it as you describe, I don't get a creaking sound, but i do get a light "tapping" sound, that almost sounds like the keyboard maybe touches the glass, or perhaps something else inside is getting pushed snugly against something else. It does it on my 2010 17 inch too. I'd venture to guess it's normal :) I've never noticed it before until I pushed on it like you said, purposefully.

4. lurrego thread starter macrumors member

Ah interesting, thanks for that, iZero. As i think about it, mine sounds more like scraping metal than anything else :( looks like i may need to visit the apple store

5. iZero macrumors regular

No problem :) And by all means, take it in! Better safe than sorry! :) They'll take care of you if something is wrong, or figure out what's going on if it's something normal :)

6. c1phr macrumors 6502

That creaking sound is actually two tiny little nubs attached to springs to prevent the bottom plate from touching the logic board (they also do something to reduce RFI, but I'm not sure about this one). It is normal, unfortunately.

This video exemplifies the noise, and tells how to fix it. Ignore that it says for 2010, I'm almost positive the two are identical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uuhLyxKjRo

7. iZero macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks for the information :) I wasn't worried about it after finding it, as both my MBP's do it and the chances of getting two a year apart, with the same "problem" (had it been one) are virtually non-existant, but it's nice to know what causes the sound and why! :)

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My 2011 does it too. It bothered me at first and I debated "fixing" it but now I don't even hear it anymore. So I'm going to leave it alone.

9. lurrego thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much, c1phr! glad to know it isnt some structural problem that made the noise! I can rest easy now:D

10. Mix macrumors member

got the same issue with my 2011 17". It started after a week of havibg it so i reckon it the back has loosened up a little so I might just go ahead and do this myself.

11. c1phr macrumors 6502

No problem! I found another thread a while back talking about how common it was, and I never had the issue on mine. About a week later though, it started >.<

I might fix mine whenever I open it up to put more ram in, but I don't always hear it, it comes and goes, so I might just leave it.