Is this space too small for 27"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by solostars, Jan 31, 2012.

1. solostars macrumors member

I was wondering if you guys think this wall would be too small to put desk and an iMac 27". The wall is 34" wide, so I thought a small simple desk. This is in my kitchen. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You have already answered your own question :p

The only thing I could say is because it's by doorways, make sure you can bolt it down so someone doesn't clip it as they leave a room, hitting the floor will undoubtedly break the screen and internals.

EDIT: For reasons that I shouldn't have to explain, DON'T literally bolt it down, just build some kind of wooden slot into whatever desk you buy so it can't be easily knocked over.

3. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

You can check the dimensions of all Apple products on the website. It is 25.6" wide.
    Though, personally I prefer to use my computer somewhere more privately, that is right in the middle of the house.

4. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think that's a bad spot for a computer, regardless of whether it fits or not.

5. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

I recently got a 27' iMac with a small simple desk and since it was a small desk you had to sit to close to the computer that it would make you nauseous. I got a new larger desk that made it a lot easier to use. Just keep that in mind

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Looks like your chair + desk would block the doorway. Sit in a chair that is 18 inches from the wall. If people can get by without squeezing, then enough space. But, still bad spot as people may bump into the desk at night...

7. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I rather use my computer in my own room since is more privacy so no one bothers me while I am using it that's my opinion

8. solostars thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! You gave me things I hadn't thought of. My idea was to have it in main area so I can see what sites my daughter is on. I'm gonna bag it, and just put it in the family room. Thanks everyone!!

9. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I understand about keeping tabs on the kids, but I would agree with others, find a more suitable spot.

10. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

you could get (an old) mac mini (if you have the money left), and hang it on the wall there with a screen. You can then use it for cooking, watching tv, e-mail, but the best, you can do screensharing. The screen in the kitchen doesn't need to be the same resolution as the iMac.

I can monitor my 24" screen on my 13" macbook. Everything is just really small.

Anyway, that way you can see exactly what your daughter is doing.

But it will pretty obvious you're checking on your daughter.

btw, do you know about parental controls on the mac? Look into that too. I believe you can see any time you want what websites were visited. You can also block websites.

11. ombrenelcielo macrumors regular

ombrenelcielo

Ditto!