Is this speed normal for SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by it-student, Apr 27, 2012.

1. it-student macrumors newbie

I recently installed an OCZ Agility 3 240 Gb SSD hard drive in my mid 2009 Macbook Pro.

These are the specs of my Macbook Pro
    Model Nr: 5.5 (mid 2009)
    Screen: 13"
    CPU: 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 8 Gb 1067 MHz DDR3

I ran 2 speed tests, first is Blackmagic speedtest, and the second is xbench. I am wondering if these are normal speeds, they seem a little low to me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My macbook starts up much faster now (takes about 20 seconds), but I am not sure about the read/write speed.

PS: I already enabled TRIM support.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Same drive here, I'm seeing about 185 on both sides of the test on a 2.2 i7 15" in Blackmagic. Keep in mind vs OCZ's specs BlackMagic uses only incompressible data so #'s are lower.

You do a reset after installing? I'm wondering if it hasn't seen the SATA interface speed change.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This is my MacBookPro8,2 with 512g Crucial M4 running xbench and black magic, both out of the box w/no setting changes.

Attached Files:

4. jimray macrumors member

I dunno, but I have the Early 2011 MBP 13", installed the 256 Crucial M4 last night and get 260 Write and 500 Read in the "Disk Speed Test"

Hmm, enable trim? I didn't do that. I thought Lion did it automatically?

5. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

Here is both results from Xbench and Blackmagic Speed test,

Model : Macbook Unibody late 2008 (Macbook 5,1)
    Screen : 13"
    CPU : Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
    Ram : 8GB Crucial 1066 MHz DDR3
    SSD : 256 GB Plextor m3

Attached Files:

6. it-student thread starter macrumors newbie

What should I reset?

7. theSeb, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You didn't allow BlackMagic to run one cycle of tests, since the read values in your BlackMagic test have not been filled in, so the results are useless for any comparison.

it-student, here are the xbench results for an OCZ Vertex 3 256 GB. The Agility is slightly slower than a Vertex 3, but you also have SATA II in your 2009 MBP.

However, your numbers are far lower than they should be even taking those two factors into consideration. Since it's a Sandforce drive, I would not recommend enabling TRIM - it's not necessary. There is a problem here and a week or two ago somebody had a similar problem with his MBP. I cannot remember what he did to fix and get full speed, but it will pay you to search for this thread.

Oops, forgot the screenshot. I could probably get slightly better results since my computer is busy doing stuff, but it's good enough for a comparison.

[​IMG]

----------

If you're not having issues, then don't enable TRIM. Lion does it automatically for Apple supplied SSDs only. Don't worry about it.

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Aah - roger that. Here'a more complete run.

Attached Files:

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Thanks for that.

[​IMG]

Maybe it's not the best time to compare, because, as I said, my computer is busy with something in the background, but it's interesting to see that my xbench results are better than yours, yet your Blackmagic results are higher than mine. Clearly the M4 is faster when dealing with incompressible data.

10. it-student thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this normal?

[​IMG]

The language is Dutch, but the weird thing is that the link speed should be 3Gb, but negotiated link speed is 1.5 Gb? :confused:

11. it-student thread starter macrumors newbie

12. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

BTW, Beware about incompatible issue between SF-2281 and Nvidia MCP79. I hope that OCZ fixed this, because most of the SSD with SATA III running Sandforce Chipset will use SF 2281. A lot of people have problem when using for a while.

13. it-student thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you elaborate more on this? Because I think I can still bring this drive back and get another one.

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

That's right in line with where mine is. Run it and call it good :)

When I was saying reset before I was talking SMC, since the numbers didn't appear to reflect a higher link speed, which you've now remedied.

15. Janneman59 macrumors newbie

Janneman59

Intel 330

I´m having the exact same problem, except it´s with a new Intel 330 ssd. The negotiated link speed is set to 1,5 GBit, but my MacBook Pro (5.1, Late 2008 unibody) has SATA II (3 GBit) (See pic). I noticed that this Intel 330 drive has the same Sandforce controller as the OCZ Agility 3 mentioned here. Sadly Intel does not provide the same tool for setting the negotiated link speed as OCZ does.

Any suggestions? Since it´s the same controller, can i try the OCZ tool?

Attached Files:

16. it-student thread starter macrumors newbie

You can definitely try. But backup your whole system first.

17. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

Some people have slower drive and some have freeze experience after 1-2 months. I am doing my research before getting my pleater m3 on my Macbook aluminum Unibody, most of them cause by Sandforce SF2281 and Nvidia MCP79P Chipset and it happened not only for Mac Laptop! MacBook Pro with Intel Chipset seem to have less problem about that.

At first, I think about Agility 3 due to price factor. After I read a lot of comment about how unreliable OCZ drive is, OCZ seem to have QC Issue lately and some of users had bad experience about it.

18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Well, I can say that I've had my Agility in three different machines now and it's been flawless in all. You read about the complaints on the internet, rarely do the people that have no issue go from forum to forum saying how good it is.