is this still the best wireless router to get for under $100 for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davelanger, Jan 7, 2010.

1. davelanger macrumors 6502a

D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router

Some of the cons say it can run really hot and the lights are annoying.

But is this the best router to get?

2. Nuck81 macrumors regular

A router is a router right?

Even the most standard and basic of Routers are capable of more bandwidth than most ISP's can push if I'm not mistaken.

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

When you need to push Gigs of photos or video over to another computer it does make a difference.

4. Nuck81 macrumors regular

5. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Nuck81 macrumors regular

i game on a PS3 and have a linksys WRT32ON.

I have encountered no problems whatsoever.

7. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

not true.

different routers support different features. it all depends on your needs. its not just about bandwidth.

I used to use a time capsule as my router but it didnt do QoS and scheduling.
    just recently replaced it with the netgear wndr3700. it also has upnp for media streaming.

8. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

My friend today told me to never get a linksys because he had tons of problems, but he has a pc, so not sure if that mattered.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes. For gaming particularly QoS is important (especially if you have a computer using the internet at the same time) and the DLink supports that whereas the Apple routers do not.

10. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i also use it to throttle bittorrent and voip services.

i give my skype connection the highest priority since i use it a lot for receiving calls. next would be gaming then bittorrent and other web traffic has lowest priority.

11. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Never had a problem with the multiple linksys routers that i have owned over the years. Wouldn't really make a difference if it was on a mac or pc anyways. I say you can't go wrong with linksys but thats just from my experience

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Also good if you are streaming media like an HD film. I really got to replace my Airport Extreme soon... :(

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How are these features tied to the operating systems?

14. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

ive heard bad things about the newer linksys routers (the weird smooth ones)

i also had good experiences with linksys in the past but i dont think ill ever buy any of their newer stuff anytime soon.

15. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

they are not tied to any operating system. you can set rules and priorities by port, address, content etc... whatever the router manufacturer implements into the firmware.

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

QoS = Quality of Service.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm using a $10 Belkin F5D7230-4 v1000 running dd-wrt.

QoS is there but I don't use it. I can play 720p MKVs over the network SMB share just fine. I'm still waiting for the 802.11n final router selection to perk up. I'd also like to get 5 GHz and dd-wrt support.

18. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

can't go wrong with D-link or Net gear if you don't want to go all out for the Apple Base Station

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Fine if you are the only user. Some nights there are 4 of us in the house surfing, playing Warcraft, etc.

20. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

+1 for dd-wrt and its related firmwares. im running tomato firmware on an old linksys router and it has given me no problems.

21. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

i already tried the apple stuff. i mentioned in my first post that im using the netgear wndr3700.

personally i wouldn't consider getting an apple base station as "going all out"...

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, the QoS is a nice feature of dd-wrt that when you have the hardware that supports it. I am the only user though.

I've become a big fan of dd-wrt. I got this router back in mid-2005. It's still working.

23. davelanger thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks everyone

so do you have any ones your recommend for under $100 besides the few that were mentioned? I almost bought the one in my post but it says on the specs there is no mac software in the box.

Does that just mean i would have go to on the site to get it?

24. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

4 WoW players under one roof! That house is going to need to be fumigated after you guys move out. :p

Totally kidding of course. :D

25. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The DIR-655 has been one of the best routers I've ever used. I have installed it in multiple locations for different people. I think I have gone for over a year without needing to restart the thing. The same goes for the other setups I've done. It can handle tons of connections which is important if you use bit torrent.

That being said, beware of the newest firmwares available for this router. There have been many reports that firmwares 1.3x and above being buggy and they do not allow downgrading once you've gone beyond firmware 1.3. Stick to firmwares 1.1x and 1.2x and you should be fine. You can visit D-Links forums for more information about their firmware.

In the past, I've tried using Linksys and Netgear routers and none of them performed quite as well as this particular model of D-Link. I remember an old Linksys WRT-54G that constantly needed restarting. Even after flashing with custom firmware, it was never able to handle the number of connections the DIR-655 could.

Lastly, the lights on the router don't bother me, but I can see how they could be a bit bright for others. If that's the case for you, just cover them up with labels and they will be dimmed. Or, you could block them out completely with electrical or duct tape.