Is this supposed to be a feature or what??

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Cloudsurfer, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Sometimes, when I unlock my phone and immediately turn it into landscape mode, Siri activates. I've had this occur on different phones (4, 4S and 5) and in different versions of iOS, all the way back since Siri was first introduced.

I guess it's not big deal, but it has always bothered me on some level. I don't want Siri to activate, I just want to go into landscape mode. Is this supposed to be normal or is it a glitch that Apple hasn't ironed out? If it's a feature, is there a way to prevent this from happening?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It definitely isn't a feature, nor is it something I have ever experienced on any of the three iPhones I have owned (4s, 5 and 5s). I have never seen any reports of that happening on this forum, either.

Are you positive you're not accidentally holding down the home button once you've unlocked your phone? I can't think of why else that would happen.

3. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Nope, just swiping the screen and that's it. I'm sure I'm not pressing any buttons when it happens.

The weird thing is, I can't seem to duplicate the problem. It appears to happen completely at random, which makes it harder to capture it on video.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Try restoring. It's not a hardware or software bug I've ever heard of. The fact that it's happened on all three of your phones makes me think something is corrupt in your backup. Perhaps, try restoring your phone as new and not restoring a backup. See if it still happens. If not, something has gotten corrupt and carried through your backups.

Edit:

Last ditch effort: go to Settings, General, Accessibility, AssistiveTouch.

1) Is it on?
    2) Are there any Custom Gestures saved?

5. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Assistive touch is off. I have restored my phone many times, to no avail. Switched off the Raise to Ear thing also, didn't solve anything...

6. white4s macrumors 65816

try a hard reset

7. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Done that a couple of times too.

It seems odd that I'm the only one who experiences this. I tried searching on Google, but none of the complaints seem to match mine. That's why I thought it was some sort of feature, like a hands-off activation of Siri or something that I didn't know about.

I can only hope to capture it on film one day so maybe someone can do a more thorough analyses...

8. Winona Northdakota macrumors 6502a

Is this supposed to be a feature or what??

Siri isn't officially supported or released with the iPhone 4.

Are you Jail Broken?

9. Cloudsurfer thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

That's right, couldn't have been the 4 as well (I'm not jailbroken). It just feels like an eternity since I had this problem :D

I did have the 4s jailbroken at one point, but I was having the issue before that as well.