Is this temperature safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Woah27, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Woah27 macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2012, 13" macbook pro... 2.9ghz, intel HD 4000, etc. According to SMC fan control, my computer is fluctuating between 88-91 degrees Celcius while playing a game. I have my computer on a cooling pad and the fan is set to 5500 RPM.

I've heard mixed things... some people say 80 is the red zone, so to speak, and I've seen as high as 105.

I'm wondering if this temperate is safe, or if I should be worried... secondly, is SMc fan control even accurate?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The computer will power down if it reaches a certain level.

88-91 is fine.

4. Woah27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your replies. I was just being paranoid i guess! Thanks again

5. Doward macrumors 6502a

Yes, you're good. If you get over 95-98C, start worrying ;)

6. tjgonzo macrumors member

tjgonzo

My 2011 MBP 15, gets pretty hot as well under load. 90-100 degrees Celsius. As everyone has already said, the computer will turn off if the temperature becomes TOO hot in order to prevent damage.

7. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

How hot is too hot? I've tested this on the Bestbuy rMBP as well. I ran chrome with 3 youtube vids that are 4k resolution. Mine and the BB rMBP hit 105C for a few seconds and then went to 100-102C and didnt turn off. Strange that 105C is the limit for the cpu right? Or you think it has to stay at 105C for longer periods before shutting down.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

all of temp on my brand new is under 33 degree. Sweet!! :apple:

9. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

lol sure.

10. mdnz macrumors regular

Running at 90c constantly is definetly not benificial for the laptop. I'd say 90c is way too hot, if it actually shuts down it means it actually overheated. Just because the CPU can take it, remember there are also parts around the CPU which are less heat resistant. Anyone who claims that it's fine if your laptop is running 90c all the time is simply lying.

Take a look at this thread

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

no kidding. :apple:

12. Doward, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

Doward macrumors 6502a

The fans on mine don't actually ramp up until I hit 88C or so. (heh, Doc must love that)

As long as under full load you don't exceed 90C, then everything is operating well. If you are running over 95C, then expect to see throttling.

For reference, I'm running a 2.5Ghz Core i7-2860QM, with comparable heat output to the Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz Core i7-3840QM, currently the fastest CPU you can get in a MBP.

My temperatures watching YouTube, chatting online, and email (basics, doing just small stuff) hover ~32-34C.

Playing Starcraft II my temperatures hover around 78-82C.

I can use my laptop as a *gasp* LAP TOP computer system, with no worries of the boys getting broiled.

Search for yourself, there is plenty of talk about how the 2.8Ghz 15" MBP runs much hotter than my system. I hope to see Apple improve the quality of their cooling solutions with Haswell, although I think that much like performance oriented programming (throwing more resources at poor quality code), this will be a case of just using a cooler running CPU with the same marginal cooling capacity.

13. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Temperatures that low are seen on all laptops under no/minimal load. What we're talking about here is the max temperatures under full CPU load. Try running some simulations (if you're in research/academia) or a very new game and you'll see that your CPU will reach temperatures above 100˚C as well.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Screen Shot 2013-06-09 at 10.06.22 AM.jpg

Now do you believe me? :rolleyes:

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yes I understand but when I was working on FCPX and play CSR Racing game I get less than 33 degree. :apple:

16. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

I see almost zero CPU load in your screenshot.

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

You are right I tried it again and you are right. Stupid me. :apple:

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I am little confused when open apps are minimized to dock then CPU load will idle? I have some apps opens but they are minimized to dock :apple:

19. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

No. Until OS X Mavericks, the window state doesn't impact the activity of an application.

20. Sadisterr macrumors member

That is cpu heatsink temperature! Not the cpu itself.
    Cpu temp will be more like 36C at least, but probably slightly more.