Is This The Best Internal Blue-Ray For Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by IvanB, Oct 24, 2010.

1. IvanB macrumors newbie

The following company claims to offer an internal BR burner for Mac Pro, which is compatible with Final Cut (it looks good).

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

Has anybody had any experience with this BR drive or is purchasing an external burner still the best approach? If so, which one do folks recommend?

Thanks

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

It's a little pricey and I have to wonder whether it's a repurposed Pioneer BDR-205, although I do see it has Lightscribe capabilities, so maybe not. I've got a Pioneer BDR-205 and it's also a 12x Blu-Ray burner(although I believe the fastest BD-R's are only 4x); You can find it for $150, although for as long as I've had it(almost a year now) I've had to run a script to prevent it from not being recognized by Mac OSX after the computer has gone to sleep. It's a well documented problem, although I'm not sure whether the firmware updates have fixed this(update has to be done in Windows).

I've heard the LG Blu-Ray drives don't have this problem, although I think they only top out at 8x speed for Blu-Rays(not so much of a problem when you're still limited by the available disc speeds).

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Kinda expensive..
    I have the predecessor to this drive $99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181

The WH08LS20 and it works great! I've never had a bad burn, though I've only burned a few blurays, mostly CD's and DVDs. I would ASSUME that the WH10LS30 is better/faster/cheaper than my drive was a year ago.

4. michaeljthom macrumors newbie

What OS version are you using this with? I'm trying to use it (well, the WH10 version) in 10.5.8, and every time I try to burn an img to it (for BD-R), it tells me there isn't enough space on the disc. (It's a brand new, 25GB Single-Layer BD-R disc, and it's a 4GB img file -- a 10-minute HD movie.)

Any thoughts?

5. IvanB thread starter macrumors newbie

So I wonder if most video editors are mostly relying on an external BR burner for now until we have a reliable internal drive? I'm leaning towards an external BR burner for now....I think....

6. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I have the LG WH10LS30 installed in my '09 Mac Pro, and it burns BD-Rs perfectly. I recall that when I first installed it, I could hear what sounded like the drive trying to access a disc every now and then, but it stopped a day or so later, and has since been silent. I've burned Blu-Ray discs and played them in Blu-Ray players, and it works perfectly! I couldn't be happier, myself.

7. jmr macrumors newbie

Lg wj10ls30 is there a solution 'not enough space?'

Wonderspark, Can you burn using Disc Utility? I cannot. I can burn BD-R's using Share, and make as many BD copies as I want initially. However I cannot burn a disc img in Disc Utility (for the ease of burning copies later) using BD-R's. I CAN successfully burn using BD-RE's. (more expensive & not inkjet printable read/write discs). The error message I always receive is 'not enough space on the disc'

8. tmagman macrumors 6502

this seems like a good place to ask... but has anyone had success running one of these internal drives through an external enclosure? I need a blu-ray drive for my macbook pro and keep looking at the once La-cie external one but its kinda pricey compared with putting together the LG with a enclosure. Also- what software do you use to burn blu-rays?