Is this the best ram available? OWC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by musicofmelkor, Jun 29, 2012.

1. musicofmelkor macrumors newbie

2. musicofmelkor thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Rajpdx macrumors regular

It's fine. OWC are a reputable company and they're pretty careful in specifying ram.

Alternatively you might consider Crucial or Samsung ram - they are both large, reputable brands.

Ram is a commodity product. There are a handful of manufacturers and for Macs a few that tend to optimize for Apple hardware when necessary - less of an issue since the move to Intel.

You can't go wrong with either your selection or Crucial or Samsung.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I've purchased RAM from OWC as well as Kingston and Samsung. Really not much of a difference, I would just go for the brand with the cheapest price, quality shouldn't be an issue with any name brand.

5. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

"http://www.datamemorysystems.com"
    Good price & friendly service, since the early 90's.

My experiences with the above, suggested vendor, well..... (I guess I'm just somewhat unlucky.)

I found an ancient receipt in a junk box for an 8mb (yes megabyte) Simm for the bargain price of $400. It made Photoshop V2, scream.

6. Greg M macrumors 6502

Best??? What's the difference? It either works or it doesn't. Why spend more then you have to? For a MBP there isn't any reason to buy "Mac" ram. There was a time when it mattered but not anymore. Go to Newegg and save about 30% over what you're looking at.

1600 vs 1333? If your MBP isn't a new 2012 then there's no reason to buy the 1600 ram. You gain nothing. Plus you can't tell the difference between the 2 speeds. You buy extra ram to avoid using a swap file. That's where your speed increase comes from, not the difference in ram speeds.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

@OP Listen to Greg, he speaks the truth. No reason to overpay at OWC. There is nothing special about their RAM. Get any brand name that meets the specs for the best price.

8. darkmaxdevil macrumors member

You dead wrong here. 2011 Macbook Pro using 1600MHz ram at full speed with almost 1 more Gb/s bandwidth over 1333MHz ram.

And yes, you might not feel the difference.
    But someone might feel the difference.

9. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

You could probably buy cheaper RAM on NewEgg.

10. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Newegg, Amazon, and Fry's offer good prices, responsive customer service, and excellent return policies..

11. Minhthien macrumors 6502