Is this the end of Macbook Pro? (help picking)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gato de botas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gato de botas macrumors newbie

I was ready to buy a new Macbook Pro, and I read people talking about a new redesign model and the Intel Ivy Bridge processors. Now I'm kind of lost..

Is there really going to be a redesign?
    What about the new processors, are they worth the wait?
    Anything about GPU? Is there any chance of a weaker GPU to replace the 6770M?

2. that1guyy macrumors 6502

No one knows anything for sure until Apple confirms it.

There may very well be a redesign, and there may not be. Ivy Bridge is all but confirmed though.

3. Lisa89 macrumors newbie

There might be a redesign. People are talking for over a year now. This was going to be at the beginning of 2012, now it's already may 2012 and i've heard it's going to be in june. Can you wait (maybe for another year) before the new one comes out, or do you need your computer now?

I've waited 6 months before buying one, waiting for the redesign, until i got sick of it. If you need a new one, you don't have to loose time just because you want a newer model. There will always be newer ones. If you CAN wait, just wait and see. If not, the upgrades they made last year are quite decent as well.

4. Gato de botas thread starter macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro is getting old and the battery is horrible, but I can probably wait another few months. I can´t wait to put my hands on an i7 Quad Core Macbook Pro =/

5. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Check out the MacRumors buying guide - that's about the best indication you'll get of when a model is likely to be replaced ...

6. sunnyj macrumors 6502

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Strongly doubt it, but it's all a matter of opinion. Even if there is, who cares? It's just a computer.
    If you're asking, it's likely the answer is no for you. Ivy Bridge is what they call a dye shrink, the processor gets physically smaller for the same processing power, meaning it will run a bit cooler and a bit more efficient at the same clock speeds. A 50% increase in integrated graphics performance with full OpenCL and OpenGL support is all that is really notable on the new chipset.
    Strongly doubt that as well, since the processor will generate a bit less heat, they should be able to slap an equivalent or slightly better GPU in there.

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The OP is new member, give him a break :rolleyes:

To the OP - Rumors have suggested a 2012 redesign for a long time. I tend to believe it. But when this year it happens no one knows. I'd guess before the end of June.

If waiting 6 months is no concern then I'd wait. If you want a new MBP sooner the current MBP's are really nice for sure.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'll second that. It may be a really nice improvement, or it may not be so great. The gpu updates should be reasonably good. Intel has been making promises, but driver quality remains to be seen. Of course we'll see whatever AMD discrete cards on the higher models too. I'd be tempted to wait personally, but there's no real way of telling if there will be delays. I'm (personally) hoping to see new mac pros relatively soon. Intel still doesn't seem to be shipping those cpus in large numbers.

10. tim100 macrumors 65816

i think apple will remove the optical drive in the macbook pro this year.

11. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't know about a redesign but for the components. If the laptop eqversions of Ivy Bridge and Radeon 7000 are like their desktop counterparts. There will be modest performance increases and decent power savings over the previous generation. Which can mean greater battery life of smaller lighter batteries. I would prefer longer run times.