Is this the future of Apple?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by zBernie, Oct 28, 2013.

1. zBernie macrumors newbie

After upgrading to Mavericks I was using the Contacts app, and thought to myself "This is effing ugly!" Black text on a white background. The entire app is a plain, boring, ugly black and white. It looks like something from a Linux desktop 10 years ago! The new iBooks? Black and white. Calendar? Black and white. This black and white insanity is pervasive in iOS 7 as well. Reminders? Black and white. Music? Black and white. Safari? Black and white. Notes? Black and white.

Is it just me or is Apple loosing it? As entrenched as I am in the Apple ecosystem, I have been researching Android phones, and am definitely considering one. I was considering an iPad mini for my 4 1/2 year old (who currently uses my old iPad 1). But instead of adding kid friendly features to the new iPads like the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire have, Apple increased the price to $400. Well, I plan on getting my kid either the Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD for $129, both of which allow you to create a profile for a child and control which apps they have access to, along with other kid friendly features. I plan on taking the money I save and put it in his his college fund.

Apple is loosing it. And since they don't listen to their customers, I plan on making a statement with my dollars.

2. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I don't have a problem with it, personally. For how little I use those applications (pretty much never) it doesn't matter what they look like, really. Of course that's my opinion.

I think you also meant "losing". :p

3. Haifisch macrumors regular

How it looks is not that important. How it works, how stable it is, ease of use, simplicity, and how well it integrates across multiple products are far more important.

4. MacInTheCrack macrumors member

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

6. djtech42, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013

djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Black and white... [​IMG]

Kidding!

Apple isn't moving towards black and white. It is moving towards a clean interface.
    Interior_Minimalism_in_a_cottage_resized.jpg

7. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

For the past 2 years or so.. I have been thinking that "Loosing" must be some pop culture thing for "losing" and I'm just too old to understand.

8. HydroDog macrumors newbie

Right with you brother!
    Some might say function over looks. Ok. How about AM radio, black & white photos, nothing but black cars and single line party phones. It has a clean interface, works smooth, stable and has ease of use. Hell you can touch up any house or car with just 2 colors! Pretty smooth and simple.

9. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Not sure if you're serious?

Stop being so dramatic. If you don't enjoy Apple products, go buy a Windows machine. Bitching about it here won't solve your issues.

10. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Actually, Apple made the mistake of listening to its customers, that's the reason they dumped the old colorful skeumorphic design (which a lot of MacRumor members hated), and we now have this boring simplistic vanilla "flat" design element. Flat and sterile.

Before iOS7 and Mavericks were released, the vast majority of these Mac Nerds actually begged for Apple to come up with a fresh new GUI design for its products, and these same people also bashed the "classic" (skeumorphic) design. They criticized it as stale and old school. Apparently it needed to go. Leather address books and leatherette looking calendars? Oh they were quite evil. A Calendar icon that looks like one of those old rolodex calendars used by most office secretaries in the 1980s? Apparently people were losing sleep about that, so Apple HAD to do something to change it.

11. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

That's right; you know the old adage: Be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it.

I believe that Apple will refine things some, but yeah...this is the lighter-weight stuff of change that people wanted.

12. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

And I thought dramatic statements and rhetoric was a reserved for only iOS 7 threads....

How wrong I am.....

I can see myself having a bit of a 'banter' on Mavericks thread as well....

13. leman macrumors 604

Well, IMO, the Contacts app should be redesigned, but not because of black and white, but rather because its making weird use of space. Look at iTunes - it has a very similar color scheme and yet its beautiful. Same for new iWork apps.

14. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Black text on white background works pretty well for me... It's been proven to be pretty effective in books for hundreds of years...

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yeah, I thought the same, but re-reading the rant and it only took a couple of sentences to slide from a Maverick's rant to a mobile device and IOS rant. Quite keen as well.

16. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

For the record, I would go for the nexus 7 over the kindle. Multi user mode on 4.3 is really cool and with a nexus device you know you're going to get the latest updates for some time.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Is this the future of Apple?

No it's not. Nor is it the past of Apple. It is in fact the now. The future will be something else, the past was something else. The now is what is currently available (well at least will be by the end of the week).

18. Philsy macrumors 6502a

I must admit I was underwhelmed by Mavericks. The name suggests something daring and unconventional but it's not.

Remember the Aqua look of the first OSX? That was daring and a real game changer that had a wide affect on design around the world. Microsoft has done something similar with Metro, while iOS7 looks fresh and enticing.

Mavericks is a mishmash of design with too much grey and heavy black fonts. it's almost as if we're going back to OS9.

Now, I don't suggest a return to Aqua, as that's undoubtedly dated and had its day. But OSX could do with a design refresh, maybe with some elements of iOS7 - the fine fonts and white space, for instance, with less of that bloody grey!

Some say it doesn't matter what it looks like, but when you're working with a computer all day, it's nice to have something that's pleasant and enjoyable to spend time with.

19. Manic Harmonic, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't aqua still the window manager/user interface for OS X?

20. Philsy macrumors 6502a

Could be. I was referring to the appearance though.

21. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Yeah, there's definitely nothing really aqua about it anymore... One of the first things I do after doing a fresh install is switch the theme from blue to gray. Always annoyed the hell out of me.

22. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Actually, when Apple transitioned from OS 9 to OS X, they got rid of the metal slate interface that Microsoft was so fond of copying since Windows 95. By the time Windows XP came, M$ introduced their own interface called Luna. You know, Aqua, Luna… :D

When Apple announced Leopard with a wee bit of interface opacity particularly on the Dock and Menubar, M$ came with Vista with translucencies everywhere...

23. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Take a look at this Vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yEI7l5zpQ

Its a great vision of the future and iOS7/Mavericks and Apples vision fit nicely.

Some people don't like to simplify but I enjoy it and embrace it.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

[​IMG]

I actually didn't mind these days. Things were simple.

25. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I'm assuming you left out the part where you've sent feedback several times regarding these shortcomings, but just on the wild chance that you haven't actually used the direct channel that Apple provides for doing so... http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

And for the major design flaws of the iPad mini... http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html