Is this the MacBook Pro Graphics Problem? With pictures

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomcoolj, Mar 22, 2010.

1. tomcoolj macrumors member

My MacBook pro has already been in for the graphics problem, but last time the screen didn't come on at all.

This problem developed over time, normal a restart would sort it out. I found out if I put pressure on the bottom left hand side of the lcd/bezel then the screen would come back.

Is this the problem again? Its just that I took into a AASP (not apple store), and they told me it wasn't.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. striker9 macrumors member

Sounds like the ribbon cable connected to the screen might be loose. You could always pop off the back cover and try popping it back on.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

4. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

"GPU-pocalypse" - is that nVidia's fault then?

Does the pressure on the side of the LCD indicate the problem?

5. striker9 macrumors member

If you are losing video feed, and putting pressure on the back of the screen corrects the issue, it is most likely a connection problem, not a hardware failing problem. They may have nudged the cable when they fixed it the first time.

When you put pressure on it, does the screen just light up white, or does it actually show the OS?

6. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

It could also be a screen malfunction. Had the exact same problems, on the exact same model, as described but then with vertical lines in stead of horizontal lines.

However, over time the issue would become more frequent and at one point putting pressure on the screen or flipping the screen back and forth wouldnt work any more.

I suspected it to be the connector or the 8600 problem at the time but it turned out to be ma screen malfunction. It was covered by the Apple leniency program so it was no hassle at all but otherwise, depending on where you live, it might add up to a € 550,- bill. (Or if you have warranty by law, you can pull rank)

7. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

It shows the OS screen as it should. When the problem started, when the screen was 'pressed' it fix the problem for a few days. It gradually got worse and worse over time. Now when pressed the screen usually flashes on, and sometimes I can get it to stay on permanently, before it breaks again!

8. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

9. striker9 macrumors member

I would give a try taking the shell off the back of the screen and seeing what is actually causing the signal to be lost. It's a pretty easy job, maybe someone has a tutorial somewhere.

10. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

I'll give it a go in a few hours, and report back with further pictures

Thanks

11. A.W.E.S.O.M.-0 macrumors member

If you want to take off the shell of the screen and see for yourself you can use the tutorial on www.ifixit.com

However I would strongly advise you to do so after it has been checked by the repair desk of your Apple Store, that's for free here in Holland not sure for other places.

If you have indeed the same problem I had and you can opt for the free replacement of the leniency program. That's no guarantee ofcourse but I think they will notice for sure when you've opened it up and then you will certainly not get a guarantee...

12. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

Well up for baking it, but I don't think I can take the graphics GPU apart from the rest of the logic board

13. JodoYodo macrumors newbie

Hey, my girlfriend is having the EXACT same problem except it's vertical lines instead of horizontal. The colour looks the same though, and it's on the 4th gen MBP.

Repairs here in Canada were quoted to be $872. So, would it be worth it to try opening it up and squeezing the connectors? Is that complicated/dangerous? I'm not very hardware-savvy. Would opening it up void any sort of guarantees or something? She's out of warranty =(

Thanks