Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Seems like everyday there is a new issue popping up. I've been relatively fortunate so far. I think things like the battery life complaints and the graphics issues are legitimate based on my own experience. My issues aren't as bad as others but it's still there and my OCD is making me notice them.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
This feels way worse than normal. There's always been sporadic complaints, but at this point, I don't think any of the people I know outside these forums who have 2016 machines haven't had problems of the sort you have to take machines in for.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I wish apple would resume selling the dGPU 2015 15". I'm in dire need of a replacement now and all of these bad reports and supply shortages have me very nervous about ever touching this generation.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I wish apple would resume selling the dGPU 2015 15". I'm in dire need of a replacement now and all of these bad reports and supply shortages have me very nervous about ever touching this generation.

I sort of agree, but note also that the dGPU 2015 model apparently had heat/throttling problems.

... I sorta wish there had ever been a macbook pro that had a decent GPU and could actually run it without running out of power or overheating. Gosh, it sure is a shame that it's impossible to ever make a machine even a milimeter thicker in order to make it work better.

Nick11Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
California
The corporate leaders of Apple need to take a serious look towards shoring up customer satisfaction. Management has to accept that they are responsible for any product shortcomings. They need to realize people pay top dollar for Apple products because, overall, they have been worth it since Jobs return. We will buy the products so long as Apple delivers the quality we expect from them.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Considering the numbers of these systems shipping out, the relative number of problems being reported is actually not bad at all. Myself and a handful of people I know already have their new MBP's. No issues with mine <knock wood> but received it exactly 2 weeks ago to the day and I'm using it constantly. I do know of one person who has encountered the screen glitching or GPU problems and Apple "captured" the system or took it back so they could get a look at it and are sending him a new one.

The system is not perfect. Like many I would like a more robust GPU and a 32GB RAM option. Aside from that however, I'm quite pleased with the system for my general use and iOS programming tasks. Final Cut X runs great on this system for smaller projects, even with 6K RED source media. But with the weaker GPU and 16GB, I still save the heavier lifting for those sorts of jobs my more powerful workstations.

The Touch Bar is very gimmicky at the moment. I can really see its potential and it's one of those things where I think it will be great once developers figure out how to integrate it with their apps in ways that augment the experience.

For those who are on the fence I would say they should wait a bit and see how it all shakes out. For those who don't need the upgrade, perhaps waiting for the next update wouldn't be a bad move.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Previous generation retna mbp were rife with yellow screenitus. Lots of complaints. Lack of sped increase. Displaying all those pixels come with a high cost.

Reactions: aristobrat

dilutedq

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Seems like everyday there is a new issue popping up. I've been relatively fortunate so far. I think things like the battery life complaints and the graphics issues are legitimate based on my own experience. My issues aren't as bad as others but it's still there and my OCD is making me notice them.
No,
It's just a mac / apple launch. It happens every time.

Reactions: chabig

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I attached an image of my issue right now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 11.28.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 11.28.52 PM.png
    456.1 KB · Views: 265

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Nothing new. Geesh, this is complaint central.

Let's put it this way: Imagine a maximum complaint space.

Your here.

Reactions: MareLuce

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
I've had zero issues on my 13" nTB. The problem is people typically don't spend night and day on forums talking about how much they love their new purchase. People who are disgruntled, however, will do just that. So looking at this forum, the optics would suggest that every new MBP is a horrific lemon that comes out of the box covered in scratches with a battery that lasts a mere 2 hours if you're lucky.

Apple has a great return policy. If you have the money, there's no reason not to purchase and give it a shot. If it disappoints you, return it.

Personally I love my new mbp. It's easily the best laptop on the market. The screen, the keyboard, the overall feel/thinness, the space grey color (sometimes, at an angle, it looks black). I really couldn't be happier. Whether you'll be as happy as I am remains to be seen, just like whether you'll be a disgruntled as many on this forum remains to be seen.

If the problem was as bad as some suggest, this forum would have 100 times the amount of negative posts about this launch. I've been coming to these forums a long time now. There's always bellyaching. Sometimes it's valid, sometimes it's overblown.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009

I think the problem is the flood gates opened. Anyone who posts here knows Apple stuff. There has essentially been a 3 year wait for updates. Finally there has been an update. Its like the flood gates are opened for the *exact type of people who post on apple forums* (I include myself in that group).

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
More click bait I see.

The launch has clearly been a resounding success given the record breaking orders for such expensive machines. The faults reported do not go above and beyond the typical growing pains expected with any new product and I expect that forthcoming updates will wipe out most of the concerns regarding UI lag, TB bugs and battery consumption.

What has certainly changed is the rapid rise in the neurotic and self-indulgent behaviour amongst Apple's customer base which is, sadly, a sign of our times.

Reactions: Jayderek

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
How has this product launch been "messy" in any way? Sure, there are a lot of complaints regarding decisions Apple made with this machine, but you can't please everyone. In regards to any technical issues, any product from any company will have defective units, they just appeared amplified when it comes to Apple because the company is under so much scrutiny, a victim of its own success. I for one am very pleased with my 2016 MacBook Pro.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
The corporate leaders of Apple need to take a serious look towards shoring up customer satisfaction. Management has to accept that they are responsible for any product shortcomings. They need to realize people pay top dollar for Apple products because, overall, they have been worth it since Jobs return. We will buy the products so long as Apple delivers the quality we expect from them.

Quality and features/functionality. There is no amount of quality that would make the 2016 MBP an acceptable purchase for me at the price they're asking, and there's no price that would make it able to serve as my primary working computer. They need a high-end machine or they need to find an alternative way to get apps to "have developers make them because they want to use your platform".
[doublepost=1481033076][/doublepost]
How has this product launch been "messy" in any way? Sure, there are a lot of complaints regarding decisions Apple made with this machine, but you can't please everyone. In regards to any technical issues, any product from any company will have defective units, they just appeared amplified when it comes to Apple because the company is under so much scrutiny, a victim of its own success. I for one am very pleased with my 2016 MacBook Pro.

This isn't "you can't please everyone". This is "you aren't even making a token effort to please a significant subset of your market, even though they've been loyal customers for 20+ years".

Increased scrutiny? Honestly, for Apple's prices, that would be totally justified, but no, this isn't even close to an "increased scrutiny" thing. I have had something way over a dozen Apple laptops. 20+, certainly. I've never previously had one fail significantly within the first month. Of the two I got, one had a serious display glitch that showed up in the first day, and one lost the ability to obtain power from any charger within about three weeks. Also several people have claimed that the way the trackpad behaves on both of them is a "defect" that should be fixed.

People who ordered on the day of the initial announcement still don't necessarily have their machines, but of the people I know who've gotten machines, everyone has had hardware problems.

This isn't just increased scrutiny; these machines are failing at a much higher than usual rate, for Apple.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
First phase of complaints (before machines were delivered)
- Too costly
- No ports
- No MagSafe
- No glowing Apple Logo
- Redesigned keyboard
- Emoji Bar
- Long delivery
- No 32 GB RAM
- Both Apple fans and non-Apple fans complained

Second phase of complaints (initial phase of delivery)
- Battery life is outrageous
- Weaker CPU performance than 2015
- Radeon Pro 450/455/460 is weak for the price we pay
- Noisy keyboard

Third phase:
- Mass return to Apple

This is the funniest launch I've ever contemplated, since I started using Macs in 2008.

Reactions: Jayderek

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011

This is like your 3rd click bait post in the last two weeks...

Personally I have no issues with the new MBP TB with well over three weeks use now, other than the battery vitality when pushing the machine at all. But I consistently get a solid 8-9 hours with light tasks.Which lasts me almost two full days of open/close lid activity before I have to charge it again. Otherwise I think this version is fantastic, thin, light ,portable, fast, smooth and the screen is best in class. I also think a Sierra update will address some of the goofy issues people are experiencing (not battery life) but some of the other issues.

I think you need to relax a bit and just enjoy the machine for what it is. Otherwise return it, they give you that option. It's simple offer/acceptance. Not sure why people wrestle with this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Theres definitely been a string of bad news about this laptop. While some people will say there's no such thing as bad PR, this isn't really good news for apple who used to rely on the mantra it just works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.