Is this the mysterious MacBook noise?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yokyoh, Dec 30, 2008.

1. yokyoh macrumors newbie

I have just purchased a new MacBook(unibody one), it was extremely quiet on the first day. But very soon, just from last night, only one day after I bought it, I found it making some very tiny buzzy noise from the left top corner. It sounds like from the fan. It is not any loud noise, only heard in quiet environment, and become unnoticeable as soon as I play any music at the lowest volume.

However, when I google it, amazingly found many people talking about some similar noise. Some of them the same happen only a few days after they bought the machine. They are mostly from MacBook Pro and the white/black modules. I don't know if the noise still exist in the unibody ones, and if it's the same...

Any suggestion? Should I send it back? Or just bear it? If it's not going to be worse, I think I will just ignore it.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It might be the infamous processor "whine" that's been around in MacBooks since the 1st gen 'books. I have it with my 1st gen 2GHz MacBook, but on the advice of other people in the forum I got ShhMBP which "shhs" it. I've had it ever since I've had my MacBook, but I don't know if it'll work on the new UniBooks. It says only for 1st gen MBP but on my 1st gen MB it's fine.