Is this the NVIDIA failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brayhite, May 31, 2011.

1. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I opened my laptop today to see the picture attached. After (somehow) using it for about 10 minutes, it went away. Then about three minutes later, got A LOT worse and went nearly all white. Now, after turning it off and back on, it's back to the original problem status. Is this a strict matter of buy-a-new-one-or-fix-the-screen or can I do something myself to fix this?

Oh, and my AppleCare expired earlier this month. Go figure.

EDIT: Well, I tried to upload it. I thought it did but for some reason it won't upload from my computer. To describe, it looks like a bunch of vertical black lines going across the screen, where dead pixels basically are. It's an early 2008 model MBP, 15".

2. ElZeus macrumors regular

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does that pertain only to HP and Compaq? And I don't know if this in fact the NVIDIA failure or not.

4. ElZeus macrumors regular

Apple is part of it, I remember them increasing the warranty beyond the stock 1year applecare but only for gpu related issues (vertical lines are usually a good indicator of gpu problems) but I don't remember how long they extended it.

5. ElZeus macrumors regular

6. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I turned the brightness all the way up and let it die, and now it's recharging and currently not suffering from the problem. Hopefully that'll be a nice fix until Thursday when I take it in. Should I just tell them the display went out and show them the picture I'm trying to upload?

7. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Apple has extended the waranty for 4 years. go to about this mac/ graphics/ Check the pcie lane width it should say x16 if it is less the card is starting to fail.

8. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will do this when I'm home. Thanks so much ElZeus and jbrenn! I'm going to run by the Apple Store tomorrow regardless. It's now an off and on problem. I was on it for about 10 minutes, and for 10 seconds or so it went nearly all yellow and barely able to make anything out, then back to normal. Hopefully a free fix is in my future and I'll be able to get another year or two out of it until I graduate.

9. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I checked, and it's at x8. Looks like I found the culprit. Thanks again for the help guys.

10. nickcao macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Bring the pic with you. It will save you lots of time to explain and prove the problem.