Is this the nVidia problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kwjohns, Jan 22, 2011.

1. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

GeForce 8600M GT...

Been starting to have display problems occur. Green and black checkers appearing and sometimes other visual defects. Sometimes forced to make a hard restart which in turn screws with my HD (preventing it from being able to boot up) and making me boot into Single User Mode to run fsck.

[​IMG]

2. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

If you have an 8600 I would contact Apple. If you have an Apple store nearby, I would make an appointment with them. If you don't I would certainly call Apple.

-P

3. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I don't live in a city with an Apple Retail Store but I can get to one. Do you or anyone else know how long it takes the retail stores to replace one of those when I leave my laptop?

4. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

When you do arrive for your appointment, make sure you tell the hostess that you're there; trust me on that. :eek:

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I'd just call the case in and let them send you a box and ship it back to Apple. You can also use an Apple authorized service center if you have one close by.

Cheers,

6. Detrius macrumors 68000

Yes, that looks like one of the symptoms of the nVidia issue. In this case, it's the video RAM that's acting up. In turn, this causes the graphical aberrations that you see, and it causes the kernel panics. So long as journaling is on, your hard drive should be fine.

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

When this happened to mine, I got it back within less than 48 hours of taking it in to the store.

8. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

What if you take in on a Thursday night or a Friday night? Those Geniuses don't work on the weekends, correct? :confused:

9. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Probably not. But mine was not repaired at the local Apple Store. They FedEx'd it to Houston, TX and sent it back overnight. I got mine back on a Friday, IIRC.

10. Merkava_4, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011

Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I'm not so worried about the time it takes; I'm just happy they accepted it. :)

11. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

The reason I ask is because I'm taking a vacation to Austin next week so I'd like to drop it off there and get it back before I leave Austin. Getting there Tuesday and leaving on Monday. I guess if they're just going to ship it off, I could call them on Monday and have them ship a box to my friend's and ship it off on Tuesday or Wednesday and get it back a day or two later before I left.

12. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Why would they ship it off? They're repairing mine right in the store.

13. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Mine, for example, was shipped to Houston, TX, like I stated earlier. Didn't take them much longer to fix and ship back, though.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was told 7-10 days on mine
    It as shipped out and took about 8 days