Is this the perfect iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hNicolas, Sep 21, 2014.

1. hNicolas, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Prior to getting my 6 Plus, only my iPhone 4S was in perfect condition from the factory. All the others and even their replacements had some obvious defect.

My 6 Plus has nice screen colour, no dead pixels, the finish is excellent and the glass is perfectly fitted all around. Even though this phone is thin it is very solid.

Other than looking great, it looks like it has been designed for very good long term wear and tear, no sharp painted edges that scratch from a nearby sneeze! :D

I hope that I haven't spoken too soon, but, kudos to Apple this time there isn't much to bitch about. :)

I'm not a fanboy of anything. I just like a good quality product.

2. N e e k macrumors 6502

All I know is I love this iPhone more than any iPhone I've ever had. (All). The 6 plus, that is. Just the screen alone is incredible.

3. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

I don't think either model is 'perfect' (the specs are actually inferior compared to other high end phones) but it's the first model I can see myself ignoring the 's' range to keep.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

It will honestly be hard-pressed for me to buy another iPhone for a while.

The 6 basically has everything I want and does everything I want it to do. I'll be passing the S model, and probably even the 7/7S, just because of what the 6 brings to the table.

I'll probably keep using the 6 until iOS is no longer supported on the 6. (iOS 12? :p)

5. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

The only thing I can see swaying me back to the store now would be a significantly better battery. That's the one area still letting Apple down, even with the Plus. Battery life needs to be at least doubled, and Apple should focus their attention on this because even the new range is poor in this regard.

6. Vladislav macrumors regular

Considering that your iphone 6 got only 1 GB on RAM, and it was for the third straight year the same thing, i can assume that you will be forced to upgrade your phone by iphone 7, if you want fast working phone, so its iOS 10 will be already laggy on iphone 6, thats a given.
    my 2 c

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Or, wildly, no.

As the hardware gets better and more efficient, the longevity increases. Pretty much with the A7 on, these devices are going to last a lot longer and run future versions of iOS better than the previous iterations.

Wether I have 1 or 2GB of RAM isn't going to affect that much in the long run. Maybe far in the future by iOS 12, but not iOS 10.

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

The top and side bezels are way too big. Buttons too hard to press.

9. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Specs don't matter if the phone can do it all flawlessly. Microsoft OEM's have been chasing specs for 20 years. Look at them now.

10. hNicolas thread starter macrumors 6502

hNicolas

I hear you! But! I still have my M8 (I enjoy the modding and tweaking), and I've been comparing them. Vs the faster processor and 2GB ram, my 6 Plus still outperforms it and not just Geekbench but real life comparison. I still haven't noticed any lack of Ram yet either. Mind you the M8 is probably the best Android phone out there, but in my opinion this iPhone has the overall quality and performance lead right now.

11. Americasteam macrumors regular

I have the 6 Plus. This is the phone I've been wanting for years. I've had iPads and iPods, but over the last couple of years I've been buying Android phones like crazy. Always trying to find the right one, but was never happy with any of them for very long. I may end up buying the S model next year, but I think this one will keep me happy for a good while. Fantastic job Apple!

12. AverageBob macrumors member

No. A phone in 2014 with 1GB RAM cannot be perfect. As far as externals, the protruding camera really really bothers me but I can live with the lines. As far as the front, the bezels are way too big for a 2014 phone and the home button is unnecessary.

13. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

You sound like someone who would love Android phone.

By the way home button is Touch IT and I think it's very necessary. It works better the any other on the phone so until Apple finds a better technology for fingerprint scanner (like integrating it in the display or something) is going to be there.

Not big fan of top and bottom bezels (even though it's not the only one, some other top phones have black frame around it to give the impression of a display) but I am not much bothered.

14. AverageBob macrumors member

I have an HTC one. I like it but I've had it for a year and a half and was really looking forward to switching to iphone 6 but because of the reasons I've mentioned I really can't get myself to get it. It sucks because historically the S version keeps the exact same form factor so right now I'm looking at iPhone 7 in 2 years lol.

I agree that the home button is necessary now but it looks a bit outdated and old school. I think they're gonna get rid of it for iphone 7 and implement touch ID on the screen as you mentioned. With very few exception ie HTC One I find Android phones very very ugly and they all have garbage cameras so you can see my dilemma.

15. akdj, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I think you mean 'superior' right?
    Second gen 64bit processing with new APIs for developers to use Metal
    Second generation M8 motion sensor
    Wireless AC like all other flagships
    Resolution is spot on with the 6+@1080p/400ppi. More is a waste on this size
    Weight, design, camera with optical stabilization and what MANY pros are calling their 'new' 'G' or 'S' Canon P&S or their reliance even on bigger sensors in separate packages like the Sony's and Panny's
    A display while not objectively measured in depth ala Displaymate or Anand is being touted as a HUGE +--colors, contrast, 'painted on pixels' ...the list is long
    Bigger display choices without actual loss of 'features' (other than OIS)
    1080p@60fps, 720p@240! That's amazing
    Bigger, deeper pixels with contrast detection autofocus speeding it up to possibly the quickest focusing camera on the market
    Construction, aesthetics, support, the list goes on forever

As for the only possible consideration as a 'down vote' when it comes to the competition can ONLY be deciphered by those of us über geeks watching ifixit tear downs and confirming "1 GB RAM?" WT--F? Crazy IMO, especially considering the compression algorithms they're using both in OS X and iOS. 7.1 provided stability, with smaller point updates increasing such
    8.0 just speeds things up even quicker (5s, as I wait on my 6+) from Touch ID to multitasking and app switching(iPad) to launching, fluency in the overall UI of the OS ...and the ability to take calls on my iPad. Just. Awesome! ...
    ...and THAT'S where I think the biggest change in iOS and OS X 10.10. Continuity and Handoff, the aggregation and integration between tab, phone and Mac/PCs. That's a game changer

Just as a side note, literally ...I've owned the Galaxy Note 1 & now the 3. I love my Note 3 for business specifically because of what we do and my ability to draw areas for rigging our truss, lighting and sound gear with the client and building/structural engineers. The sketching is very cool. The 5s has been my personal phone as has the iPhone since day one. Tried the S2, went back to the iPhone 4/4s--5. I've got a pair of 7" Nexus(s) of each gen. As well as the Xoom. Plenty of usage from the Android side of the fence, so I'm not ignorant to their abilities and flaws.
    Lastly, no bloat. Just incredible and powerful, useful stock software with more of an open mind with iOS 8, allowing third party widgets (without annihilating your energy), keyboards, etc ...backed up by the largest, most reasonably priced and powerful software in the history of technology. Whether you're a gamer, Photog, music maker or video star, magazine/movie and/or music lover, iTunes is hands and shoulders above any other organizational and purchase/share store for media in the world! Again, as an Android Note 3 owner, I can hopefully give you some peace of mind letting you know the 1GB of RAM line is old and tired. It would've been a HELLUVA lot less on Apple's bottom line to have doubled the RAM rather than the NAND or storage cap from 32-64 and 64-128, the latter offered by no one and essentially the way KitKat works ...it's not as loving to my MicroSD card. Sure, media and apps can be put on the card BUT in some cases like games or quick access to the card only end up bogging the phone down
    That said, a game in parity, Asphalt 8 flat FLIES on my iPhone 5s, iPad mini2 and Air. A bit glitchy and not nearly as fluent on the Note 3. Even with 3GB or RAM ...but that's not unusual I suppose, because from a cold boot, it's automatically using 1.95-2.2GB just running the OS, Carrier bloat and Samsung's beautiful ;) TouchWiz.

Ahh, no. Battery life is extremely good, has been since the early days. Again check out the objective testing with Anand. Usually in the top 1-3 as far as duration and performance. The 6+ from user and professional reviewers alike is garnering significant praise. From what I'm reading it's going to smoke my Note 3 or 5s, essentially equals while doing the same tasks

Again, you're missing the forest through the trees. We upgraded our iPad 2, original mini, Iphone 5 & 5s, as well as the iPod fifth gen touch. All are quicker, handling the update well and are extremely 'fluent' as far as the UI. The A8 is a feat of engineering as is the on board SoC RAM buffering system. Intelligently trading off what you don't need with what you do. I use Logic, FCPx and the Adobe CC Suite extensively and the inclusion of an iPad with remote control functionality for my stills, RTA sound measurements and the ability to walk the venue and adjust parameters via iPad to the front of house or back line is a revolutionary advance in my business
    I'm also a pilot of 27 years now and my mini has replaced my 45lb flight bag with manuals, plates, weather, up to date Jep charts, weather and traffic, TCAS & ADSB as well; flight plan filing, fuel calculator, diversion airports and real, three dimensional mapping of terrain. In Alaska I'm working with a pair of companies (wife also works for the FAA and was one of the first female fighter pilots in the Navy--now as a check flight officer and trainer) & the state with better, more reliable (w/help from a plug in for GPS extensions for accuracy) terrain detail mapping of mountains and passes, weather areas of concern and 'off airport' strips without NavAids.
    Believe me ...a single GB of RAM is NOT an issue and a hasnt been since it's inception. As the RAM has gotten quicker, managment in iOS and compression as well as developers using the new Metal APIs to strip the GLes2 layer from the GPU freeing even more memory up. I'm excited to see what the second generation A8 does for these devices. DON'T look at specs, message boards or geek speak of memory. They're ignorant to argue against Apple's SoC engineering team as even Qualcomm and Samsung's CxOs pooped a bit last year when the A7 came to light and seeing how it continues to hold its own with a lowly dual core processor and single gig o RAM vs quad core, double the clock speed and triple the RAM phones of 2014 for all the competition, it's still up near the top!
    Pretty awesome and amazing lifetimes these iPads get. I've still got the original which still grabs 10-12 hours easily running iOS 5.xx something. Our iPad2 is running iOS 8& running it well. That's now three years old and four generations of updates on an A5/512 SoC.
    Guess I'm not understanding your argument 'against' here about three years from now's iOS update ..as anyone today purchasing the '6/6+' will be eligible the year before for an upgrade If they actually complete their two year term. Now with NEXT, Verizon and TMo/Sprint's one year 0% financing trade in for a new one deal is maybe a sham but one many are taking out the door ensuring next year's device is theirs if they choose

For an AverageBob those are some pretty lame 'cons' when it comes to all the 'pros' this line has provided. See above and really? Another it's 2014, I'm More Smarter guy than Apple engineering so it's necessary to increase RAM (while not chastising other 'flagships' that ship with 32GB ONLY?)... I don't get it. Never will but words of advice for those of you new to MR the iPhone or iPad itself, enjoy what you've got and don't come reading about others problems. Go to Apple or call them if you've got a defective device. They'll take care Of Ya. Also keep in mind the development community and WHO they're deceloping for. The masses. And NONE have MORE than that single gig o' RAM. If it's in the App Store it's going to FLY on your device doe years to come. At least that's been my experience here, coming into the sixth gen iPad and still using the first and second (we got rid of the 'new' iPad 3, that one was a joke and replaced with the 4, still one of my favorites and we've got seven for our company and the field).

Seriously folks, iOS has the development community behind them 100%, allowing a vertical and horizontal system of interaction between OS's and the 'continuity' between is absolutely a game changing update. iCloud Drive will just be the frosting on the top, along with these 'unbelievable' displays!

Lotta 'switchers' this time around too. Be interesting to have an (un)macandroidrumors.com. A non biased site for those of us using both and offering true, not religious speak or 'fanboy' chatter for one or the other. Those of us in our 40s & 50s & up that didn't grow up with this technology, possibly it's more 'easy' to accept the pros/cons of each ...but to NOT realize Android is at a cross roads without horizontal or vertical support (a Chromebook? Come on!), and to see the integration and aggregation Windows and OS X are achieving with their mobile sector, the lack of Android 'tablet' interest as well as the SPIII, finally the surface that 'should be' ...I think we may see the lines blur or start to change a bit, with lower end Android phones for free in contract or flagships with incentives because of this. I think Windows is looking at a big increase in sales if they're able to penetrate the Windows phone with '9' over the next 12-18 months.

Time will tell. Until then, I'll agree with a review I read yesterday, that said "iPhone 6 isn't just the Best iPhone ever, it's possibly the BEST phone Ever!"

J

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I have been saying this a lot lately, but I feel like 4.7" is a sweet spot for a good portion of the Apple buyer base. I think in terms of all around experience, this is the best iPhone yet (the 6/6 plus), but I think materials will be better in the 6S.

17. heycal macrumors 6502a

I'm about to buy a new phone and will choose between iphone 6 and LG G2 or maybe HTC One. (I can't abide anything bigger.) I was desperately hoping for a notification light on iphone 6 and a great battery, and neither happened.

I actually like home buttons/physical buttons myself.

You happy with the HTC one? I'm using an iphone 4 now which I like well enough, but have had androids before. (I use a Mac Air which I love after years of PC's). I feel my personality is about 50/50 between iphone and android. It's a tough place to be...

18. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No such thing as a perfect iPhone. Everyone has different needs and no one phone will meet them all.

21. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

This undermines everything you wrote. You must be joking if you seriously believe this. Battery life is nowhere near extremely good, and if you don't own an iPhone 6/6+ already (which I can only assume you don't) then you'll soon realise that.

It may be comparatively good, but that's not good enough.

22. AverageBob macrumors member

If you don't care about camera at all and I mean AT ALL, HTC One is a solid phone and you can get it for about half the price of an iphone 6. I would stay away from anything android that is not HTC or a Google Nexus device. If you buy LG, you'll regret it because the UI is absolute garbage.