Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exthree

macrumors member
Original poster
Hello, I'm posting for the first time on this subject. Longtime Apple user and even longer as audiophile with substantial LP, CD and iTunes library. I'm adding a network streaming device, Cambridge CXN v2, to my legacy AV and home theater setup. The purpose to upsample my existing library using the onboard DAC and to add audiophile-quality internet radio and subscription services like Tidal or QoBuz to feed into my downstream amp, wired speakers, and Sonos speakers. Yes, the CXN can do all that.

So the question is how do I connect my iTunes music library and ripped CD's to the CXN using my MacBook Pro as the music server?

TYVM!!

/X3

djkiter

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2007
Have you tried using the CXN as an audio interface? I'm not familiar with the CXN but I googled it's I/O and it looks like it has a USB audio in port. Grab a USB-B to USB-C (Or whatever ports your particular MacBook Pro has) cable and connect your MacBook to the CXN. It should show up as an output in Systems Preferences>Sound.

Here's an example of the cable I use to connect my 16" MacBook Pro to audio interfaces. Hope this helps!

61BU1CE8SbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: cdcastillo

exthree

macrumors member
Original poster
Hello djkiter,

Thank you for the cabling recommendation. I'm going to do this wirelessly with my MacBook as the CD & iTunes music server, wifi connected to the CXN, which will add the streaming music and DAC to my legacy AV system. Any assistance in that regard is highly appreciated, especially the MacBook setup.

/X3

djkiter

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2007
According to this article the CXN should support AirPlay. Just make sure your MacBook Pro is up to date and connected to the same network as the CXN and you should be able to connect wirelessly.

If you want a little more control over your network devices you can give Airfoil a trial. The app should be able to detect the CXN along with any other Bluetooth or network devices in your home. I use it myself as a remote for my system. This app however does introduce some audio latency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.