Is this the right MacBook for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lipstick, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Lipstick macrumors member

College student, just need a laptop for classes for the next 3-4 years. Writing papers, iChat, music, and general browsing. I don't really play games. Here's what I have configured:

2.26Ghz 13" MacBook Pro
    4GB
    250HDD

Tell me what you think? Please, and thanks.

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Upgrade the HD and ram on your own; its easy and much cheaper. If you're going to get it through apple, you might as well get the 2.5 stock, which comes with both upgrades. Student discount price =1399 + a free ipod and printer. And for what you want, it'll be fine. The only thing against it will be time.

3. joeypk07 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading those components on your own... you're only looking at $45 for the Hard drive upgrade and $90 for the RAM, and you'll know that you'll be taken care of by Apple in the first year if you have any issues, or up to 3 years if you pick up AppleCare. I definitely think you'll be happy with that amount of RAM and the HD though.

The 13" is a great portable machine... I envy your battery life!

Like the other poster wrote make sure you take advantage of the Back-to-School offerings Apple has like $100 off of eligible printers and the free iPod touch!

4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I think it's great.

I'm in the exact same position as you (I'll be starting college this Fall), and last week, I ordered literally that exact configuration. The upgrades weren't badly priced, and I'm extremely happy with my purchase.