Is this the right power adapter for an 11" MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pullman, Jan 8, 2015.

1. pullman macrumors 6502

pullman

My wife has an 11" MBA with model number A1370. The battery is dead so I can't check the exact model identifier. The thin cable on the power adapter has worn out where it enters the brick (which is incredible since she never ever wraps the cable around the brick) so she needs a new adapter.

This Apple Store page has three that look similar to hers, which has the L-shaped magsafe. Am I right in believing that the 45W version will fit all A1370 models?

Many TIA
    P

2. motrek macrumors 68020

I'm not 100% sure but I think so. I think Apple has "standard" connectors for these things, called MagSafe and MagSafe 2. The L shaped ones are MagSafe.

3. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the reply. I also think it will work. I've read a bit of conflicting info about whether the higher wattage would be bad for the computer but most seem to say it is not and that the computer will only draw the power it needs from it (meaning 45W).

4. SusanK macrumors 68000

5. kodiak99 macrumors newbie

6. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks for the further replies. Much appreciated.

Yes, the 2011 has the slightly thicker Magsafe not the -2.

The guy in the shop told me that the 60W adapter (which was the only one they had in stock) could be used without harm to the computer so I bought that one. Really hope this is not going to damage the battery...

p

7. motrek macrumors 68020

It won't, don't worry.

The computer will draw as much power as it needs. If the 45W adapter always "pumped out" 45W, then what would happen if the battery was full and the computer was off? It would explode. :)

8. pullman thread starter macrumors 6502

pullman

Thanks very much, makes perfect sense (and me feel much better).
    Cheers
    P

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple