Is this the right time to buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marc G., Oct 25, 2008.

  1. Marc G. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    I'm a student who has just started university and I need a powerful laptop as my course involves graphic design, animation and video editing + portability. I've been interested on Apple since many years ago, before the brand became "trendy". But I'm not sure if Apple is still offering the best option for the professionals.

    But anyway, my question is regarding the late 2008 MacBook Pro's. Do you think this is the right time to spend my money on a 15" one or should I wait for January? I don't want to feel ripped off if they release a significant upgrade in a few months. I've looked at this site's buyer's guide and I saw a 4 months difference between MBP upgrades.

    I've also thought about the 17" model which hasn't been released yet (I mean, with the new nVidia setup) - but I was thinking of getting the MBP + Apple Cinema setup.

    What would you do?
     
  2. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #2
    The four month thing only happened once(in 2006 right after it came out) and I believe all they did was add the 17 MBP, seems kinda similar to what they might do here.
     
  3. Marc G. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #3
    That's right. So do you think it's a good time to get one?
     
  4. Steve686 macrumors 68020

    Steve686

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Location:
    US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
    #4
    Always a good idea to get a computer, if you need one.....
     
  5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #5
    Wait another week or two to let the bugs get worked out with such an ... extreme makeover ... and then dive in. This is the biggest makeover you'll see probably for another few years. It will likely get little bumps in processing power, storage space, etc. But this is a pretty darn good time to get one.

    FYI, I think the next semi-major upgrade would be the motherboard chipset crap, which someone a lot geekier than me will tell you all about. Apparently it will give everything a nice speed boost, but that isn't due until about a year from now. So go buy a MBP and show it off.
     
  6. BRB, balling macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    #6
    I dont think any significant changes would be in their next refresh. Nehalem processors are still a year off, and I doubt they would put in a GPU better than the 9600M GT because of heat and size restrictions. Maybe they would include a matte screen option at that point.

    I would get one, 4 months seems too long to go without something necessary to do your work properly. And they literally just released their major redesign, its the most opportune time your going to find to get one.
     
  7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

    teleromeo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    kidnapped by aliens
    #7
    if you want a 15" and you can use right now, buy it, it's brand new. Maybe there will be a speed bump or some minor upgrade but the design is brand new so get it. If you want a 17" and you are anxious to have the latest design you should wait, the update from 2 weeks ago is fine but there might be a new design in a couple of months, most preferably around MWSF2009.
     
  8. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #8
    agreed any major speed bump will happen around this time next year.
     
  9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #9
    I think there have been 3 speed bumps since I bought mine in April 2007, including the recent one. The $1999 model is barely more than 2 GHz faster on CPU and, OK, has some good bus upgrades and the new GPU. But it'll take a miracle to pull off anything like the switch to the C2D, which I can tell you is a huge step from G5.
     
  10. consumedsoul macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
  11. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    #11
    When I say major I mean Nehalem which is the successor to the current gen processors and is supposed to be released in Q3 2009. I'm not talking about 2.4 to 2.5 GHz in 6 months.
     
  12. MontrealMonger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2008
    #12
    Or, wait a few months until it can be had as refurb and save a few bills on it.
     
  13. Nedturskakao macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    #13
    OMG, they just released the new models x) this is the perfect time to buy a new MBP! I guess they'll release a new one in 6 months or something, but that's just how technology is!
     
  14. petvas macrumors 601

    petvas

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    Location:
    Mannheim, Germany
    #14
    It seems that the new models have quite a few quality issues. I would wait a bit to let Apple clean up the mess...

    I am also one of the quite few that don't like the new Macbook Pros. They seem to be more consumer oriented than ever...
     
  15. JustLuke macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #15
    How dare Apple make products that appeal to filthy consumers! Everyone knows that the best way to run a business it to sell stuff that no-one wants to buy.
     
  16. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #16
    So what happens if you wait and then they don't release a new one? What if you wait and it takes another 10 months for a speed bump? If you have work to do at school then buy one. If you like the new one get it, if you have issues w/ it then get the old model. Either way the worst thing you could do when you don't have a computer is start the "waiting game."
     
  17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #17
    It should go without saying, but if you can afford to wait until the next update you should. You are always going to be screwed by them releasing a faster machine right (although four months doesn't really qualify as right) after you bought your one. Just quit worrying about it or you'll never enjoy anything.

    Its actually a bit liberating, once that update happens you can stop obsessing over your laptop being obsolete.
     
  18. Marc G. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #18
    Thanks for your replies.

    Thing is, the GeForce 9600 GT is a powerful graphics card, but there are too many above it. That's why I'm afraid Apple could offer much more powerful discrete graphics soon, and I would feel ripped off because we're talking about 2,000 Euro and that's no joke, at least for me.

    I don't mind if the next update takes 6 or more months because we're talking about technology and it's normal, but I'm sure you'll understand my position. From what I've read it seems it's a good time to buy it, so I'll order a MBP soon.

    Thanks again!
     
  19. juanster macrumors 68020

    juanster

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Location:
    toronto
    #19
    if you need it now and have the money now i would say go for it. I used ot be like that befor ei bought my MB, then i just pulled teh trigger and evrytime a new update came by i was like whoaaa... good thing i did not wait 4 months more just for that, they just received a "huge" update (design and all), i sincerely dont think tahtw hatever the update is in 4 months will be worth being without a computer taht can do what i need for 4 months... that's teh other point of view too, do you need it because you want one that can run all the software you need for your courses or do you have one already that can do it an djuts really want to upgrade, either way i htink now it's a good time to go for it...
     
  20. Marc G. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #20
    I don't have any laptop atm, and yup, I have the money. Still, hmmm...
     
  21. juanster macrumors 68020

    juanster

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Location:
    toronto
    #21
    lol yeahik nwo what you mean,, 2000 euros for a computer is no joke to me either...
     
  22. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #22
    They'll always release a new computer in a few months, so if that's what you're basing you purchase on, I don't see you buy a computer a very long time if ever. ;)

    As with the video card, they released the 8600M over a year ago, so I'm guessing they'll use the 9600M GT for just as long (of course since it's now NVIDIA chipsets, they may keep updating sooner).
     
  23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

    JML42691

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    #23
    The next update shouldn't be anything more than a spec boost, so if you are only planning on getting the 15" and wouldn't consider the 17" even if it were the new design, then I would say go for it now.
     
  24. Marc G. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2008
    #24
    My main concern is the graphics. If only it had the 9800 GTX instead of the 9600 GT, I would buy it straight away.
     
  25. itcomic macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2008
    #25
    if you don't mind the loose hinge of display , it is a good time to get it.
     

Share This Page