Is this the right time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamescwarren, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I am currently saving up for a MacBook Pro and am hoping to buy it a little time after Christmas. I have a few questions though.

1. I've heard that Apple might release iLife '09 at MacWorld 2009... If I bought the MacBook around Christmas, would Apple do that thing like they do with OS X that if you bought the laptop in a specific time period, you get the upgrade for free?

2. When Snow Leopard gets released - presumably half way through 2009? - will the MacBook Pro run it fine? There won't be any new groundbreaking technology needed to run it well? Which leads me onto the next question...

3. Nehalem. I've seen that it's supposed to be a lot better than Intel's current processors. What's so different and better about it? Is it that much better than the processors in the current MacBook Pro? Say I bought the 2.4 GHz Pro this year, would I notice a big difference with a 2.4 GHz Nehalem? I don't Need the Pro right now (I will soon because I've only got 18 GB HD space left and I download lots), but would really like it now. So based on the fact that I don't need it right now to replace my 2.0 Core Duo MacBook, is Nehalem really worth the extra full year's wait? My current MacBook wouldn't be wasted as my mum would take it to replace my old and now her PowerBook G4.

Thank you!!!

P.S. On the off chance that I decided to buy the MacBook - not Pro -, and forgetting all these screen troubles, is the screen better than the plastic MacBook? And are the speakers better than the last gen.? They seemed a lot louder at the Apple Store. I would have checked about screen issues then but I didn't know about them!

2. Pneublet macrumors member

I'm pretty new to Apple computers but I'll take a shot at some of these.

If you bought it now you'd be months away from Macworld still, so no, you wouldn't get a free upgrade.

You'll be able to run Snow Leopard on the MBP just fun. From what I can tell it's more than likely to make the new MBPs run faster than they currently do.

I don't know really anything about the next processor. It's gonna be awhile before they put it in though probably. But if you play the waiting game you'll never stop playing the waiting game.

The fact that you need a new computer because you're out of harddrive space is pretty absurd. Go buy a 500gb portable harddrive and take the clutter off your laptop. That should save you about $2500.

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hey thanks for replying.
    I know it's a little silly buying it for the space, but I travel a lot with my laptop and take it to school a lot, so carrying around a portable hard drive isn't that practical for me. On top of the fact that the new MacBooks are pretty nice to look at, my current MacBook wouldn't get wasted because my Mum will use it. My old PowerBook's driving her mad with how slow it is :p

4. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

Although not out of the question it is not in Apples track record to release an iLife update so soon.

If Snow Leopard is released within a Month of you buying your Laptop they will give you the upgrade free, otherwise you will have to buy it yourself. The standard config 'low end' MacBook Pro will not have a problem running Snow Leopard. Infact the machine should run quicker, Snow Leopard is rumored to support GPU 'processing' as well as multi core usage in many more apps and programmes.

Possible updates (maybe in Snow Leopard) are to allow the new MacBook Pro to run both GPUs at once (confirmed as technically possible by nVidia) hence run more apps even faster (with the GPU support in 10.6).

The MacBook Pros are likely to receive an update in roughly 8 months (this seems to be the trend). These updates are usually minimal in the real world, so if you need a new laptop and you like the new MBPs just go for it! As our friend above said, you could keep waiting for the next revision forever, you will have to take the plunge at some point.

As for speakers Im not sure if the sound is louder as I never turned up the speakers to max on my old whitebook and I havn't on the new MBP as the sound quality isn't that great on any laptop, if you want that kind of volume go for a mid range 2.1 system, my Logitech set is very good.

Hope you enjoy the new MBP if you get one for Xmas :)

P.S. I am one of the happy owners of the late 08 MBP I think its a fantastic machine. Enjoy :)

5. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thank you :) I suppose you're right, I'll be here forever if I just carry on waiting! It's nice to hear someone that's actually enjoying the Pro! Thank you! :)

EDIT: Trivial rock, I take it then you've upgraded from the whitebook, like I'm hoping to? Can you tell a difference in speed? I have the original 2.0 core duo model. Also, do you find it a lot harder getting used to the larger size and weight when taking the computer out with you, or is ok? Thank you :)

6. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

If you have any questions about the new MBP that havn't been answered for you on the forums (or if you just havn't seen an answer or thread) feel free to ask away :)

All I can say is, if you like the new MBP, not worried by the screen and lack of a firewire 400 then go for it, its a great machine.
    (I have no firewire accessories, and I find the screen really pops. If there is glare, just turn up the brightness (I really havn't had an issue with it)).