Is this the time to buy a 2011 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soulniz, Apr 15, 2012.

1. soulniz macrumors member

Hello all,

I've been thinking about buying a MBP for a long time, and recently came up with the conclusion that I should.

But now I just discovered that there might be a new model coming up and I don't know if I should wait for the 2012 model or buy the current 2011 model.

Will the 2012 model be worth waiting for?

The current price for a 2011 MBP is $1450 in my country, and I don't think I can afford the 2012 if the price is much higher.

Looking forward for your answers.

2. Liquinn Suspended

I'm waiting to buy the latest and greatest 15". There's rumors that the 15" Macbook Pro with a new/thinner design and no optical drive. The 15" should be updated very soon. I would hold off if you can.

3. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

The price will probably be the same for the 2012 as for the 2011.
    It may increase slightly, but it's likely to be the same.

The 2012 model will of course be worth waiting for; with new Ivy Bridge chips alone making it worth the wait. The 2012 models may also have a completely new design and other improvements over the 2011 models which we don't know yet.

I would personally wait for the 2012 model, however if you really need a MacBook Pro right now, I would buy one as the 2012 models may still be months away.

4. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

It is not the time to buy a 2011 MBP. No way jose!

The 2012 Models will be worth waiting for, if they have a Redesign or not!

But many rumors point to a redesign, possibly retina display, on April 23rd or 24th! You don't wanna miss out! The price will most likely be the same. Apple never really changes the price of their computers, give or take $100.

5. soulniz thread starter macrumors member

Sounds like I should wait. :D

But if it's announced April 23rd or 24th, when would it be launched? Getting quite tired of my current laptop, and I want a Mac soon!

6. Liquinn Suspended

I've got 2,400 UK pounds saved up now. I'm ready when Apple's ready.

7. soulniz thread starter macrumors member

I got $4000, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to go out and spend them all on a Mac. :-D

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

This is good time to wait. I am crossing all of my digits in the hopes of an April release but I am pessimistic to myself about such early dates.

Though, anytime is a good time to buy a refurbished MBP. Well, maybe. I mean apple might lower the price of refurbs after the new MBP is released.

9. soulniz thread starter macrumors member

True, the prices of 2011 models will probably fall quite a lot.
    Though, seeing as this is going to be my first Mac, I think I'm going to buy a brand new product.

10. Kasalic macrumors regular

I've owned a few Mac's and totally understand where you are coming from.

Personally both my other half and myself have been waiting for some finances to come through for our business to buy us a laptop each. We ended up going for a late 2011 17" MBP which we got for £1779 instead of £2099, and I got a 15" antiglare hi-res screen model, again a late 2011 for £1679. Neither machine had any imperfections on them, and the 15" even came with 8GB ram despite being advertised as having 4GB :)

If you are buying new, and you have no urgent need for a machine for the next few months then I'd wait and see.

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I disagree. If you can get a good deal go for it. Got a new MBP 15" for under $1500 - there won't be that much of a redesign to offset a good deal if you can find one.

12. Meever macrumors 6502a

The 2011 models will get even cheaper once the 2012 models come out.

It doesn't matter which one you get either way waiting would be wiser.

13. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

One thing about Apple products is the quality of the hardware. Add that to the fact that operating systems are updated along with the release of new hardware - well it makes finding a bargain on the most recent release (before the current one) worth checking out.