Is this the worst Apple update response in history? Or is this typical?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ryuukumori, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

I have heard all over so many rants about this upgrade last Tuesday. No Firewire on the MBs, no backlit keys on the new entry (middle) model, and the design. Is it really THIS bad? Or is this just typical after every update, and then people go back to normal and talk about physical problems with the laptops and good things?

Lets give everyone some insight. I want to see MacRumors like it always is! Live up to the good reputation!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

100% typical.

As a general rule, you can expect the unhappy to be far more vocal than the happy.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's been like this pretty much ever since I started using Macs.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Kind of normal, but leaving out FW (which Apple help invented) was really, really stupid.

5. bektravels macrumors regular

IMO Everyone mainly focusses on the negatives in forums.

6. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, but this is the same move Apple made to not including Apple Remotes with laptops, instead, selling them BTO for $19. Kinda the same to snag more money from consumers to go Pro for the FW, although the remotes was kind of a smart move because the vast majority of users probably rarely used them hardly at all.

7. akm3 macrumors 68020

It's normal. Every Apple update always delivers sweet sweet goodness - but with some bitter knife in the back take-away that keeps it from being perfect.

Everyone bitches and moans, life goes on, and the next update comes along and adds some killer features while leaving one glaring hole that would have made it perfect.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I understand, but at least someone can buy the damn remote for 19. The only option for others who want the FW is the pro which is hundreds more. Hell even the cheap crappy PC's have FW. Fanboys (not you) will try to justify Apple for doing it, but honest people will say it was BS.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's typical after every update. Seems worse though since three products were updated (and one refreshed) all at the same time.

10. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

I think lack of FW on the Macbook is a MAJOR misstep for Apple. Rather than some people complaining about the whiners, I think the updates for the notebook line have been disastrous especially if those features are important and you see where some people are coming from.

So, yes, I think this could well be the worst Apple update since they introduced the hockey puck mouse and flower power/dalmation iMacs. :eek:

11. 11800506 macrumors 65816

As others have said this is quite typical. Whenever a new Apple product is released there always is a big flurry of posts and threads about how stupid Apple was to change blank in blank product and how it was better before the update and how now they will never buy another Apple product again because of it. Eventually after a few weeks once the changes have settled in most everyone stops complaining about the issue until the next new product or revision is released. Then people start moaning and complaining all over again and the cycle continues. It was the same with the Macbook Air, iPhone 3g (plastic back, etc) and numerous other products. Eventually after awhile you come to ignore it.

12. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

At this time, we don't know. Not all of the reviews have surfaced the net yet, but on user experience... it's based on opinion. Some people like it, some people don't.