Is this thing waterproof?

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
That would be a killer for me if it's not waterproof. But I'm still looking around for info.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
They made a point of saying that the electronics are encased, so it may be to some reasonable depth.

My guess is that these questions will be answered as the site comes online with the details.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Water resistant, but not proof, I'd bet. Otherwise, the film would have shown someone swimming.

Suture

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2007
Water resistant, but not proof, I'd bet. Otherwise, the film would have shown someone swimming.
Good point, and I just realized I should have said resistant instead of proof as well. I wouldn't plan on swimming anyway with it at these prices even if it was waterproof.

JonMPLS

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2010
MN
Big point for me too . . . kind of hard to have a sport edition that is not pretty water resistant.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
They showed people running, being active, and getting wet with the iPod Nano and the sport arm sleeve.

But they'd deny warranty if it's moisture sensors triggered.

DO NOT ASSUME.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
if I can't swim with it, that'd be a deal breaker (which is sad for me because I was/am really excited about everything else the watch can do). but i'd want it to replace my current fitness trackers (I use a misfit shine, which I wear on my wrist), not wear in addition too (plus, how silly would that look).

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
waterproof and battery life are two major things that i need to know before buying this thing. Good thing we have nothing but time to find that out.

Velin

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Of course it isn't. Ipod touch with a strap. It's pointless. Stick with your Citizen, Seiko, Casio, Timex. There is zero compelling reason to buy this thing. Zero. Who the hell wants to baby it with water -- or charge it up night after night, every night, for years to come. I'll take a self-winding mechanical watch or quartz with 3+ years of battery life, thank you.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
"We have learnt a lot with the first generation Apple Watch and we are taking it even further... Today we're announcing Apple Watch 2, now waterproof... We can now track your swim distance and it will be synced on your iPhone 6S Plus with it's new M9 motion co-processor!" -Phil Schiller, January 2016.

You read it first here.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Of course it isn't. Ipod touch with a strap. It's pointless. Stick with your Citizen, Seiko, Casio, Timex. There is zero compelling reason to buy this thing. Zero. Who the hell wants to baby it with water -- or charge it up night after night, every night, for years to come. I'll take a self-winding mechanical watch or quartz with 3+ years of battery life, thank you.
I believe what you mean is there is zero compelling reason for you to buy this thing, which is fine. I have Seiko and Omega automatics, and I think the Apple Watch looks great and functional. I put my phone on a dock and place whichever watch I'm wearing on my nightstand every night. Sticking a magnet to the back of my watch isn't much of an extra step.

I'm sure future iterations of this watch will be thinner, more water resistant (my biggest complaint,) have more features, etc., but, compared to a high end watch, the Apple Watch is pretty inexpensive, so it's worth a shot. Just like with phones, I'm sure I'll be on a 2 year upgrade cycle with the Watch.

p.s. I'm not sure why everyone thinks only of diver's watches when they think of the high end watch market. LOTS of watches in the $5K-$20K range are not rated water resistant enough to even bathe with.

Velin

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
p.s. I'm not sure why everyone thinks only of diver's watches when they think of the high end watch market. LOTS of watches in the $5K-$20K range are not rated water resistant enough to even bathe with.
That's a fair point.

The real disappointment with this product is the iPhone tethering. Just kills it. If I need an iPhone, then I'll just use the iPhone and forego the additional device.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I wouldn't wear a smart watch in the water regardless of certification.

Currently IP67 only guarantees 30 minutes at 3M/10FT.

The depth is good, but only 30 minutes? I'm usually in the water for HOURS.

Even still, why risk my $349 smart device just so to show of to my friends it can get wet before they lose interest 15 minutes later and I can not focus on enjoying myself? :rolleyes:

I get it for swimmers training but other than that, meh.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
That's a fair point.

The real disappointment with this product is the iPhone tethering. Just kills it. If I need an iPhone, then I'll just use the iPhone and forego the additional device.
I think it just depends on usage. I own a business in the TV industry out here in L.A., and I'm constantly being bothered with tacking my phone in and out of my pocket a zillion times a day to deal with client/employee emails, texts, and phone calls all hours of the day. Being able to screen, and even answer various forms of contact via the wrist will be great. Similarly, the wrist watch was born out of the inefficiency of a pocket watch.

That being said, I kind of wish the iPhone wasn't getting larger, since you have to use them in tandem.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Many reports across the blogosphere say Apple failed to make it water resistant.

I'm sure they left out a few things like that so the next version would have new features.

The original iPhone wasn't 3G when the majority of other smartphones were. Then the second gen iPhone was made with 3G included.

It's Apple tradition to leave out important features in version 1.0 it's no big deal :)

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I just wanna be able to wash my hand, wash the dishes and bathe my kids without having to remove it all the time.

normal usage you know, I dont care if I have to take it off to go swimming

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Many reports across the blogosphere say Apple failed to make it water resistant.

I'm sure they left out a few things like that so the next version would have new features.

The original iPhone wasn't 3G when the majority of other smartphones were. Then the second gen iPhone was made with 3G included.

It's Apple tradition to leave out important features in version 1.0 it's no big deal :)
David Pogue said that Apple told him it is water resistant. Certainly not water proof, or a diver, but ok for rain, splashing, washing dishes, etc.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
It is a bummer, although I'm not sure it's a deal breaker. If I'm dying to swim with a watch, I'd just throw on a G-Shock or something.
I guess for me I wanted it to replace my misfit shine which I currently use to track my swimming activity, steps, and sleep. Would have been okay with not having the sleep tracking, but no swim tracking is a deal breaker for me.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I guess for me I wanted it to replace my misfit shine which I currently use to track my swimming activity, steps, and sleep. Would have been okay with not having the sleep tracking, but no swim tracking is a deal breaker for me.
I hear you, but it probably isn't a big deal to throw on the Shine in specific instances.