Is this [Thunderbolt cable] genuine?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ifti, May 2, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I purchased this cable from eBay, where it was listed as genuine, but I was expecting a blister pack (the plastic packaging) whereas it has arrived in a box instead.
    It seems to look genuine but do they also come in boxes??
    Any way to check to ensure its genuine?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mumph macrumors regular

Hehe Apple take form very seriously. You wont find their products arriving in crappy blister packaging that you have to attempt to destroy with scissors risking your life in the process on the needlessly sharp edges of the crappy plastic.

Looks genuine to me. If it was fake it would more likely come in blister packaging.

3. Giuly, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

You can just rip the top off with your bare hands, it's glued. Apple also takes fitting as much of them as possible into a container very seriously, because shipping from China is quite expensive.
    [​IMG]

But given that Chinese people don't have the technology to fake these cables yet, the cable itself should be legit(imately fished out of a Shenzhen trashcan), even if the packaging turns out to be home-brewed.

It might also be a retail packaging that's only sold outside of the Apple Stores. The English/French combination looks quite Canadian.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Try taking it into an Apple Store and see if they except it as a return.

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The TB cable I purchased in person at an Apple store came in the same box.

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

An cool, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks to all for your replies ;)

7. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

I got them in both box and plastic bag. Both from amazon. I have about 6 thunderbolt cables and I doubt amazon (direct/not reseller) would sell fake.

Regardless, I have aftermarket Western Digitals and they were $35. Works fine. I prefer to spend less money and I like black instead of white cables.

8. mumph macrumors regular

Ah I was thinking of the almost indestructible plastic things that a lot of stuff comes in. You know the ones that will slice your fingers off if youre not careful once you've had to stab it with a knife and lawnmower to open it.

9. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

I hate those, when I was building my PC I had 8 case fans all arrive in blister plastic. OP, the cable appears to be genuine.