Is this thunderbolt display setup possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pharmac, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Pharmac macrumors newbie

Sorry guys, feeling a bit under the gun. I purchased a 2011 mac mini server as my main machine, with plans to hook it up to a thunderbolt display when it becomes available. I have a 2011 air, and does anyone know if I can utilize the thunderbolt connectivity between the two? I would like to hook up my 2011 air intermittently in target disk mode thru the thunderbolt port on the display. I already have an additional thunderbolt cable waiting for this combo. If it doesn't work, it will suck as I will be outside of my 14 day return period for the mini. I don't see why it wouldn't work, shouldn't a target disk mac mount the same as the Promise RAID has been advertised to? Thanks for any insight. One visit to the Apple store someone said no, "you can't hook up two macs to one display" the next visit they said "Yeah, should work I guess".

2. dubAdub macrumors member

You'll probably only know for sure after trying it.

AFAIK Target Display Mode is for using an iMac as an external display for another computer. But since the Thunderbolt Display is not an iMac it probably isn't a given then it will work.