is this tiger copy legal?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bionictony, May 22, 2008.

1. bionictony macrumors member

Here's the story, I bought this from ebay, thinking it would work on my ibook G4 1ghz. I have panther and wanted to upgrade to tiger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130223261312

I received the package and it looks like a burned dvd copy(blue reflective disk) compared to a legal copy (silver reflective disk). I emailed the guy and got this message back:

Thank you very much for contacting us with your concern, yes it
    is, allow me to please explain to you the origin of the disc , but
    please know that a full refund is always at your disposal.
    This is not a regular grey disc(the ones that come with macs and
    are machine specific) this disc did not come with a mac, you see,
    this disc is from a mac training center that is selling their excess
    OS X to make room for the new OS X that just came out , and as
    it works they purchase whole lots of licenses, not discs, and then
    use the licenses along with a master retail version that they are
    provided to create the discs as needed, this is why even thought
    labeled it is not machine specific, it is hardware specific, please
    know that the license is correct, most important you will able to
    confirm this personally if you decided to keep it because the 1st
    time you connect to the internet after the installation is
    completed, the system will automatically prompt you to accept
    10.4.11 download from apple website which would not be
    allowed if the license was not correct. Having said all this if you
    still wish to return for a refund please just reply requesting
    return instructions for your full refund and please do not install
    so the license will still be usable. I truly stand behind all our
    sales.

PS: please remember to back up all your personal files prior to
    installation.

Thanks and keep ebaying
    Mike :)

So is it a legal tiger copy? Or should I return for a refund? Is there a way to check licensing? Thanks in advance for the replies everyone.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I know Server has a licensing program. Not sure about the client version.

This does make you ask why the seller has this picture on ebay.

That's a pic of the original DVD. If that's not what you got I'd ask for my money back then report him to Apple legal

3. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Interesting one. I've often wondered what the licensable entity is. Since OS X doesn't have any sort of serial numbering or certificates then it's not clear what can be transfered.

In this case if his story is true about the training centre having some sort of bulk licensing deal, then I'd would doubt that this deal can be transfered piecemeal to other parties by the sale of the media.

Did you receive some paper based documentation with a license agreement printed on it? For example the Leopard retail package comes with a 'Software License Agreement for Mac OS X' in the back of the documentation.

The below statement is incorrect, this does not validate anything, the same thing would happen if it was illegitimate.

All in all it's a difficult one to verify 100% but if all you have is the disk at present then I doubt that's enough to be able to consider it a 100% okay transfer.

IANAL etc..

4. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

Yeah, the updates will run no matter the pedigree or legitimacy of the software disk. The fact that he uses this as validating evidence is probably more sketchy.

While true, that many times companies will buy x number of licenses, the situation I am familiar with is where they buy 100 licenses for 100 machines, but only open, say 10, of them b/c you dont need to use a new disk for each install. They could install on all 100 from a single disk if they care to, since they purchased 100 licenses.
    The problem is, sometimes these other 90 (or 99) boxed versions will 'walk off' and get gifted/sold/etc. and while the company paid for the 100, they didnt pay for the + over 100.

I dont know what i'm talking about re: this, so perhaps this is 100% legit, and I'd hate to trash someone else out of my own ignorance, but it sounds goofy.
    That said, I doubt you'll get in trouble, although I dont know if both of you (or just they) are responsible if something ever came to a head.

5. bionictony thread starter macrumors member

I got what was pictured in the auction. the disk was a dvd copy. On the label side of the dvd there is usually the dvd brand but has been covered up by a something made from a cd label maker. The "insert sheet" also was a good injet color copy.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ask the guy what company he's getting these "legal" copies from.

Personally I think he's making copies and selling them. Plain and simple.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

8. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

If it does not look legitimate then it probably isn't. Ask for your money back.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Agreed, look at the seller's history of auctions...hundreds and hundreds of copies???

I'd contact Apple and let them pursue this guy, or at a minimum, report it to the SIIA

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The claim of the seller does not hold water.

A software site license such as a training company or a university might have, is for use on that site only. The license comes with restrictive terms and conditions, and generally these terms include that they are not permitted to be sold or given to people outside the site.

Apple OS's also do not have 'license keys' that permit or disable updating.

Based on the information provided, it sounds like the seller is BS'ing you and is selling pirated goods. Contact Apple, contact eBay.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That is completely BS. OS X client does not authenticate.

The seller is fradulent.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'd try to get my money back because he has been reported to Apple Legal.

If you think a person is selling illegal copies please send email with pertinent info to piracy@apple.com

13. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

100% Illegal copy

1)OS X doesnt authenticate when it runs software update
    2)What he says about the licences could be true, but if that was the case he wouldnt have the right to sell those disks
    3)The picture certainly isnt what you got, and as you said, you can make out a DVD-R label under the ink

If this guy actually returns ur money as he claims, you will be lucky, but my guess is that he says that so you think "what the heck, if he tells me he can return my money, its legal". Report him to both apple and ebay...

and to the fbi as well ^^

EDIT: "Return policy not specified." <--- ?

14. Mashiach macrumors regular

Mashiach

Don't you just hate these scams.
    I wouldn't just report him to apple, ebay and FBI and report him to

TEAM AMERICA!!!!!!!!

15. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I noticed that he has sold hundreds, if not thousands of these illegal copies. All 4 of the negatives he got were for dvd copys of the OSX Tiger. Report him immediately to Ebay, Apple, & The FBI.
    What he is doing is illegal as hell.
    It's amazing that so many sheep on ebay thought that they were still getting a great deal & gave positive feedback.
    Have Apple Spank Him.

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If the disc doesn't have a silk-screened Apple label and logo, then it is pirated. It doesn't really take much analysis.

17. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Since when does OS X have a license? Anyway, if anything he violated eBay's terms by misrepresenting what he sold. No where in that auction does he state the origin of the disc. It's misleading. If you're concerned about Apple chasing you down, I'd get my money back. Reporting him is up to you.

I too got scammed on eBay. I purchased 4 Jam packs from someone in the UK. They turned out to be burned copies w/o a box or paperwork. Just 4 disks with printed labels. I asked for my money back, to which the seller dropped of the face of the earth. I reported her to eBay, Apple, and some other software piracy company. I can't remember their name. I think it was BSA (https://reporting.bsa.org/usa/home.aspx?pr=1&CMP=BAC-GoogleAdNetwork&creative=1MilWhistle728&HBX_OU=). My argument was if I wanted a bootleg copy I could have easily downloaded it myself. Since I want a legit version, the copies are no good to me.

18. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I already have Apple on the case. It is piracy, as training facilities get the software discounted & cannot re-sell under any circumstances.

19. hoodedavenger macrumors newbie

Me too

I bought a copy as well from the same seller. Seems Apple and eBay haven't done anything about him yet.

Mine was similar. It's a DVD-R with what looks like a directly-printed label and a copied brochure.

Is there any way to get a legal copy of Tiger on eBay? Are there any other good sources for a legal copy? Is it even any cheaper to go with Tiger instead of Leopard? :p

20. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Not sure they do licenses like this, since when I was running a small shop we asked if we could buy 10 licenses to Tiger and were told to buy 10 individual copies (business not eligible for family pack). So that's what we did. Never opened 8 of them (used 2 for installing). Now, it's possible that if we had wanted 100 or 1000 we could have done something different.

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NOPE, this seller sells pirated copies that me made for a few cents.

Even if you can mass license, you would get a real ORIGINAL disk for each license, not a burned copy.

22. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

23. The General macrumors 601

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It violates the SLA, for one. And secondly, you don't know if the seller is even selling you a genuine COPY of the Tiger install disc. He could have modified the actual software. Fact is, you have no idea what you're installing on your Mac.