Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am using 17" MBP 2010 which is not compatible with 4K monitor. I have been waiting for the upcoming MBP before I buy a new monitor. However, it is still not available. What suggestion do you have?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Like all things technology, it will get less expensive over time. Barring unstated circumstances, you would do better to wait until you have a computer that can drive a 4K monitor before buying one. Unless, of course, you just want to buy something.

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Wait some more, if you can.
At some point, Apple will have 5k display capability throughout their entire lineup. Maybe even a suitable TB-display.
Then is the time to buy and you sit back and relax while you wait for 8k displays.
4k is really just a stepping-stone.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Wait some more, if you can.
At some point, Apple will have 5k display capability throughout their entire lineup. Maybe even a suitable TB-display.
Then is the time to buy and you sit back and relax while you wait for 8k displays.
4k is really just a stepping-stone.

Do you think it will happen this year? After watching a new 65" 4K TV at home for a few days, I found the image quality of a HD TV (bought at the same time) poor.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
Hajimeます I'm currently waiting for 4K IPS displays to lower their prices. I'm interested in IPS for photography and typography work. Also I prefer the most pixel dense monitors, so I won't be getting a 30-something-inch display. I'll be getting one of these brands; LG, Samsung, AOC, Dell. Right now, I'm alright having retina display only on the iPad Air. I'll wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.