Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheEpicFilmCo, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Hello. I was looking on the internet for the best deal on a Canon HF100 and came across this site.
    I am in the UK and if I bought from there would I be able to return it if it was faulty and does it still come with the Canon 1 year warranty?
    Please can you help because if I bought from that site I could save hundreds of pounds.
    Thanks a lot.

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'm afraid i don't think it is. The contact page has no details or ways of getting in touch with the company. Might be worth checking with Companies House to see if they are a legitimate Ltd company.

Cheapest i can find with a phone number to order with (order over the phone is strongly recommended when dealing with a new company) is CBMStore selling the Canon HF100 for £399.95 but it is ex-display.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I also can't locate their Amazon WebStore despite claiming to be associated with them.

3. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Plus you'd be importing meaning running the gauntlet with HMRC. The imposed duty, should the item be picked up, would see your savings evaporate.

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Happened to me with a cricket bat i imported from India... Ended up paying 5x more on import tax! Ended up being really pricey!

5. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

Okay Thanks for your help. I thought the site looked a little dodgy. I would buy it from the CBMStore but it's out of stock. :( Thanks again.

6. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

This site looks just like the one I linked to earlier, but it has contact information. Is it okay?

7. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Looks pretty legit, and asides from the bad review it all looks fine. My only concern is the checkout procedure which is apparently linked with amazon so you have to type your amazon username and password in... Maybe remove all cards from your amazon account then try it cause that way atleast you can't loose your details.

8. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked on Amazon and they say that SkyBoxUSA is a Amazon dealer. So is it all legit? Should I buy it?

9. tri3limited macrumors 6502

10. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

But what about the import tax to import it from the US to the UK? How much will that be?

11. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Try asking them to mark the item as gift... that way no fee!! It's really 50/50 if it gets taxed. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. You can refuse the parcel at the door if it has tax and you can't pay it. Just check the price before you sign.

12. TheEpicFilmCo thread starter macrumors regular

I just chatted with someone at SkyBoxUSA, they said that they didn't ship outside the US. :(

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

First site is a SCAM. That URL incorporates name of a large, popular store, but it's obviously using name dropping to trick gullible people.

For most type of products, if you want warranty, you have to buy the product in your country (and not gray market).