Is this traceable with Illustrator?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by 2457244, Aug 30, 2015.

1. 2457244 macrumors regular

Hello, I'm not an Adobe member and I have tried a few online vector auto-trace sites but they all can't trace *, not even a single color black circle.

So I was wondering if Illustrator CC could trace those lines in detail, I know Illy's live trace function was already pretty good in CS4 or 5 maybe it's even got better today?

[​IMG]

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 7.19.03 AM.png
    Here's a screen shot of the results that I got using Illustrator (AI CS6 — I don't see why CC should be any different).

I'd call that close enough.

3. 2457244 thread starter macrumors regular

That looks great for starters, could you export this example as .eps for me?

I like to use it in Affinity Designer. It saves me a lot of troubles installing a creative cloud trail version for only doing a live trace in Illustrator.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I took my time to show you that it would be worth your time to download Illustrator.

5. 2457244 thread starter macrumors regular

Time isn't the issue here... Installing 2GB software on my computer for just using it 1min. is, and after that removing it all again.

Never mind, I'll find someone who has Illustrator on his computer and is willing to make a Live trace and vector export for me. It takes about 1 or 2 minutes of their time.

I believe there are still enough friendly and helpful people out there who are really willing to help each other out.

6. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

If you'd opened your post by asking if someone would trace the artwork for you, rather than a question about a bit of software's specific capabilities that you plainly weren't interested in the answer to, you'd probably have got a friendlier response.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What you'll generally find in these threads is that we try to assist and advise without actually doing the work that should be done by you.

We try to be friendly and helpful. But we don't like to work for free.

8. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

If you're comfortable with relatively basic command line use, you might want to take a look at http://potrace.sourceforge.net

Its free and it does tracing fairly well. You may have to play around with the settings a little to get what you want, and of course there's no swishy GUI.

9. Flood123 macrumors 6502a

Flood123

You don't think the original response was friendly? They opened up AI and created a demo of attainable results. That took time out of their day. To me, that seems pretty darn friendly.

Another member pointed out that you could have asked nicely in your original post and it would have been an different situation I am sure.

10. chrfr macrumors 603

Even a thank you for the first test might have gotten you a different response.