Is this trackpad noise normal for 2016 new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caoxiang, Dec 15, 2016.

1. caoxiang macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2007
    Sounds much louder click than the 2015 model, is it normal?

2. c8y macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2016
    The trackpad in the ntMBP 13" I had was louder than the one in 12" MB. When I tried later in the store other computers (all 2016 MBP models), I had a feeling that some were louder than the others, but it's actually hard to compare in a noisy place.
  3. chabig macrumors 68040

Sep 6, 2002
    Sounds normal to me. It's adjustable in the Trackpad Preference Pane.
  4. bcrawfo2 macrumors member

Dec 20, 2010
    Funny...that was my exact post a few hours ago. I described the sound "tink" instead of my previous "thunk". I think the difference is due to the decreased mass available (making it too thin).
    I was also told in jest that I was "Clicking it wrong" :)
  5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2008
    London, UK
  6. pento macrumors member

Mar 4, 2008
    Unfortunately, it is true. I noticed this right away on my 2016 15 MBP w/ TouchBar and have seen others that sound and feel the same. The 2016 generation's force touch trackpad sounds more hollow and clunky. I thought the previous generation's force touch trackpads had a really lovely sound and the perfect tactile feedback.

I've tried the various feedback settings and it doesn't make a difference - the sound/feedback is simply different. At first, I was horrified, just because I really enjoyed the last generation's trackpad so much, but I find I've gotten used to it.
  7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

Sep 22, 2009
    I actually can't find the option to change the sound on my 2016. I know it was there on my 2015...
  8. pento macrumors member

Mar 4, 2008
    System Preferences>Trackpad>Point and Click> Second row from bottom, slider control labeled "Click". There are three options: "Light", "Medium" and "Firm".
  9. caoxiang thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 1, 2007
    thanks, I think that option is to choose how hard you press is considered as a click, not the feedback.
  10. linguist macrumors member

Mar 31, 2009
    when played back loud this sounds remind me of very click-ey ball mouse way before microsoft optical mouse era
    ( remember those ?)

same time as the era where clicky keyboard was the norm, making me wonder if this is their design objective.
  11. skids929 macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2011
    Use tap to click problem solved. I never click my trackpad..Just gently touch and swipe and scroll. It's marvelous.