Is this true in regards to 4.2.1 unlocking...?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Alag28, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

I was told that you can do a tethered redsnow JB and unlock under 4.2.1 and updating the bb to ipad 6.15 yada yada. THEN go ahead hit the restore button on itunes and it will erase the jailbreak portion but it will permanently keep the unlock so basically u got a untethered unlock?....T or F?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

False.
    No jb=no unlock.
    Unless you're on a 2G iPhone.

3. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Aside from that, iTunes won't restore stock firmware to an iPhone with the 6.15 baseband. You would have to use Pwnage Tool or a premade custom firmware.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

It's actually partially true, but no release or even announced, so not sure how the op got a hold of that info, but the fact is that Dev team got a Alpha package of Ultrasnow that was storage on the Userland and after it have been install it will stay after an "Upgrade" (note NOT a restore, but an Upgrade). However the package is really unstable, draining a lot of battery and breaking stuff randomly so I doubt it will ever be release.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting. How would that be possible if you upgrade and still have the iPad bb installed so you'd be stuck in recovery.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't really got many details on it, I was just on the irc when it was discussed that somehow the unlocked stayed after an upgrade, that's why i said it was "partially true" no mention of the iPad baseband being use. That's also why i was wondering where did the OP got his intel. :)

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, sounds weird but not something thats feasible at the moment.
    Wish it was like "bootneuter" :)

8. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I remember actually reading through two different threads on exactly what the OP was talking about right here on macrumors. They were pretty generically titled (I think one of them was something like "has anyone tried this??"), and were posted in the midst of a whole lot of posts from people crying about why the untethered jb was taking so long, so I don't think they stayed on the top of the message boards very long.

Looks like this was an OP with a 4.2.1 unlock question who actually did research before hand. Props.