Is this true?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lambo172, Apr 19, 2011.

1. lambo172 macrumors newbie

I talked to a Verizon rep on the phone, and he said that i would be able to purchase an iphone 4 now, then pay just 30 dollars to upgrade to the iphone 5 whenever it comes out... does anyone know if this is true? i really hope it is!

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Gosh, I hope so!

Wait... I'm not on Verizon. Never mind.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I think the rep was probably referring to the upgrade fee (eg AT&T charges $18 for an upgrade even when fully eligible).

Unless there's some trade-in program, like the ones Best Buy and Radioshack had last summer for the 3GS--->4 upgrade.

4. lannim macrumors member

sounds kinda funny, id look into that a little further and make sure you understood them correctly

5. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

This isn't true at all. Poorly trained rep is all. No conspiracy theories please. :)

6. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I doubt it sounds like he's trying to get you into a contract so he can make some $$$ off of you.

7. Lioncrazz, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011

Lioncrazz macrumors member

Unfortunately, you cannot buy a 4 now and upgrade to a 5 when it comes out without paying full retail for the phone.

8. lambo172, Apr 19, 2011

lambo172 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was thinking... I'll have to call them a few more times and see what happens.

9. -aggie-, Apr 19, 2011

-aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I doubt you can upgrade for $30. Unless Verizon is into losing loads of money.

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No, it's not true at all. Does that even sound right to you, OP?

11. lambo172 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sort of. iPhones do hold their value pretty well compared to other phones. Verizon does do a lot of deals for customers (they did give me a droid Eris for free).

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

Simple solution. Get it in writing from the store manager. Quickest way to determine if it is legitimate.

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Each time you call you can get a different answer!

Let us know

14. lambo172 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will do

15. icstars989 macrumors member

Sounds like what they used to do when you could upgrade your two year contract after a year only. Pay an extra $20 and you could upgrade early. However, they dont offer that anymore...:(

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't imagine that this is true.

17. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

the $30 is an upgrade fee it is possible verizon will do what at&t does if you buy an iphone around launch time you will get the next model for the upgrade price i do this every year with my iphone on at&t. am i certain? no thats not possible to tell but it is a possibility.

so it is possible to buy an iphone 4 now then when the 5 comes out you will pay the upgrade price +$30 but again just a possibility.

18. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

I could maybe see this happening in the UK.

I remember when the iphone 3g came out, they gave people who had an original iphone free upgrades to it before there contact was up.

19. kicko macrumors 65816

aint that the truth!

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

probably $30 early upgrade fee + price of early upgrade price of iPhone.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Apparently, you aren't very aware of the way Apple does business yet ;)

22. lambo172 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, apparently this isn't true :mad: doesn't at&t offer something that when you get an iphone around launch, you can get the next iphone for an upgrade price :confused:

23. wolfie37 macrumors member

No they didn't, people who had the original iPhone had bought it outright(it was the only way to do it then). What O2 did was allow people to move contracts from original iPhone to iPhone 3G for "free". It didn't cost O2 anything, in fact it made money for them as the subsidised contract for the 3G was a two year one which you had to buy into. When the 3GS came out many people mistakenly thought they could do a free upgrade because thats what they thought they had done when the 3G came out. This was quickly pointed out to them by O2.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No. There isn't even an iphone 5 being BUILT yet, much less does anyone know how much it'll cost and what it will take to upgrade from an iPhone 4.

That rep just wanted to make a sale and was willing to tell you anything you wanted to hear if it would make you buy something then and there from him. He's got a commission (and probably a sales quota) to make!

They've done it the past three times. But, for the past three launches, the iPhone was exclusive to them, and particularly this last time, letting people upgrade on the cheap meant they were locked into a fresh contract.

They MIGHT do it again, but there's no guarantee. We just won't know until the iPhone 5 comes out.