Is this true?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wheredacatsat, Oct 5, 2007.

1. wheredacatsat macrumors newbie

Is it true that on the Ipod touch and the Iphone that you HAVE to use itunes to get songs on there, unlike the other ipods where you could get songs for free?

Because I was thinking of buying the iPod touch, but i'm not going to if I have to pay for all the songs...

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

iTunes client yes, but not iTunes Music Store.

i.e. you can upload any supported file to the iPod Touch/iPhone regardless of where you obtained the file.

You can't (yet) use any of the third party iPod managerssinec the iPT/iPhone don't present themselves as file systems.

B

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

you don't need to buy songs from iTMS, but you do need to "organize" your songs with iTunes, because iPT only communicate with iTunes.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You can have all the songs you have in iTunes (iTStore buys, CD rips etc.) :)

EDIT: Ouch, too late!

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

you need iTunes to load the iPod. If you already have MP3's, you don't need to pay any more money (except for the iPod).

EDIT: everyone is on the ball today

6. wheredacatsat thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so i can still use like limewire and get all my songs for free and stuff, because I heard you can't. I don't know alot about computers or iphones and stuff, so thanks for all your help

also.. can u watch youtube on the iphone liek you can on the itouch?

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, about youtube

limewire, somebody just got fined $222,000......ugly capitalism....

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yes, you can still steal your music as long as you don't mind opening yourself up to expensive litigation.

9. Mookie442 macrumors newbie

P2p

FYI the $220,000 settlement was in the States. The Supereme Court of Canada has deemed P2P file sharing as legal in Canada. So limewire away! ;-)

10. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Ya, and the EU said it's the UPLOADERS fault, the people who originally hosted and the ISP! So yay for me!:D

11. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Not totally. Demonoid.com( similar to any other torrent site) was taken legal action upon by Canadian lawyers and so they block all Canadian IP's now.