Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I read somewhere that if the Mobile Me server goes down etc. that I will not have access to my contacts nor calendar. Well that is not good, what if I am sitting with a customer and I need some info., will I not be able to get it? That is why I got Mobile Me was to get info. on the road. Please advise! PS Mobile Me is working great for me, I love it.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I read somewhere that if the Mobile Me server goes down etc. that I will not have access to my contacts nor calendar. Well that is not good, what if I am sitting with a customer and I need some info., will I not be able to get it? That is why I got Mobile Me was to get info. on the road. Please advise! PS Mobile Me is working great for me, I love it.

I think it might hold a bit of truth to it, I'm not sure to what extent though...

But just as an example, about 2 weeks ago, MM was down, I couldn't log into the MM website and the contacts on my phone were all gone.. later in the day when I went to make a phone call, low and behold they magically appeared, I tried to log into the MM website and that was also up..

So, I would say there's a bit of truth to it! ;)

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I wonder if Apple could make it where your contacts and calendar stay on your iphone and just do updates from the cloud. It seems that most folks need their info. at all times not just when Mobile Me is working.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
I guess that is true. I just turned the iphone to Airplane mode and the contacts and calendar are still there so I guess that even if you are not on the air, your contacts etc. should still stay put.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Course they still stay there.

The iPhone nor your Mac needs to be connected to MobileMe in order for your contact and calendar entries to be there. They are stored on your device.

If there is a problem with the MobileMe servers, then any updates made on your Mac or iPhone won't be pushed to the cloud until the server issues are resolved.

Unless you don't have an iPhone or a Mac and use Me.com, then you won't be able to access your contacts and calendar entries.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
I wonder if Apple could make it where your contacts and calendar stay on your iphone and just do updates from the cloud. It seems that most folks need their info. at all times not just when Mobile Me is working.
If your contacts are on your iPhone, mobile me makes no difference. The contacts will stay there. If mobile me servers are down, any changes won't sync until it comes back up.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Thanks folks, I can sleep better now. My business depends on that information.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I don't think it is quite that simple, although it should be. Remember what FSUSem1noles said:

But just as an example, about 2 weeks ago, MM was down, I couldn't log into the MM website and the contacts on my phone were all gone.. later in the day when I went to make a phone call, low and behold they magically appeared, I tried to log into the MM website and that was also up..

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Same thing happened to me and that is why I ask the question in the first place.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.

Be careful and ALWAYS back up

I already use a GMail account for family/friends and keep the .Mac for work. I had .Mac for 2 years before the MobileMe transition and wasn't able to access my .Mac email for roughly 2 weeks which is almost an utter and complete disaster for me.

Thankfully, because I had backups and because I worked over-time, I got things done but man was it close and man was I pissed at not having email access for two damn weeks.

Tough but the way the internet is today, never hurts to have it in more than one safe place

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008

If your business depends on that data, shouldn't you subscribe to a service that offers a Service Level Agreement instead of depending on a CONSUMER service with no SLA and no guarantee concerning user data?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.