Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
It's true, applications that don't need to use up CPU whilst you're not looking at them (ie. A racing game), it essentially freezes the app so you can quickly jump back in without having the app boot back up again. I think it's pretty clever to be honest. It is cheating the "multitask" name a bit, but applications like Skype will finally be able to be "closed" but if you're in a call, you can carry on chatting, which is a godsend.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
There are real background processing capabilities, but Apple is (initially, at least) limiting the class of applications that will be allowed to do background processing.

Location, audio, and VOIP apps will be able to do full, true background processing.

Other types of apps will be allowed to do background processing for a limited amount of time after they have been "quit", allowing them to complete some task that was started. They also will be able to use "fast app switching".

The biggest class of potential apps that will be in limbo-land are those that want to maintain some persistent connection with a server, but aren't one of the 3 supported app types for full background processing.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I came across this recently:

http://factoidz.com/technology-behind-iphone-os-40-explained/

Is this true??? So not all applications can really multitask, but their just stored in RAM or something? Is this good or bad?

Its true.
All applications that need to take advantage of multitasking API's will need to be updated.
And this is a way of instant application switching without sacrificing battery, cpu or memory usage.
I think its a great thing. Other phones will accomplish the same thing with the battery dieing alot faster and the phone running sluggish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.