is this typical speck quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mentaluproar, Feb 22, 2012.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I ordered a speck candyshell card and after putting it on, found all sorts of defects. they didn't hinder the use of the device, but it really felt milk-carton cheap. Are they all made so cheaply?

Attached Files:

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Not sure about Speck's iphone accessories (I use a Griffin case), but the Speck case I have on my MBP is top quality. It's seen a fair share of abuse, and my MBP still looks new.

3. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

I would say yes. There are lots of people reporting issues with their cases.

My SeeThru Satin peeled off in matter of days. It's like a snake shedding its skin. For a $30 case it's QC is disgusting.

That was last year. So Speck really hasn't changed anything.

4. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

dang. it was the only card holder case I found that provided any useful amount of protection too!

If I contact spec about this, do you think they will issue a replacement, or a replacement that looks any better?

5. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

Just ask for a refund. As I said this is typical with most of their cases.

6. dtbratt macrumors 6502

dtbratt

Id ask for replacements till you got one your happy with. Looks like someone missed the flash issues on that case.

7. djstile macrumors regular

I have purchased (and returned) the Candyshell and the Candyshell satin and both felt very rough in the hand and you can actually see defects in the moulding of the plastic all the way around the case. On top of that, the regular Candyshell scratches from air touching it. I have owned other Speck cases that I liked, but the Candyshell type models are horrible.

8. joec1101 macrumors 6502a

The candy shell isn't perfect (no case is, really), but that looks really awful. I have never seen a speck with that kind of finish quality. Did you buy that from speckproducts.com? It looks to me like it may be a cheap counterfeit. :eek:

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why not just take a file and file off the excess flash? I understand you paid $30 for a case with terrible QC and you feel like you got cheated, but I think you can fix it yourself. See if Speck can send you a voucher or some sort of reimbursement for your trouble and then just go at it with some emery cloth.

10. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I purchased a candyshell from Speck and after a month of using it, the silicone around the screen started peeling everywhere and it looks like a used pencil eraser. I was highly disappointed. They wouldn't even give me a replacement. Speck use to be my favorite case company but after what I went through with their customer service, I refuse to purchase another speck product. It's such a shame because they were my go-to company whenever I needed to protect any device.

11. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I have Speck clear shells on my MBA, MBP they are top quality. Take it back and get it replaced.

It's possible you got a knock off too.

12. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I ordered it from speckproducts.com specifically to avoid the possibility of recieving a counterfeit. Unless their supply chain has been infiltrated by counterfeiters, that's the real deal.

I emailed them earlier and within minutes received a response asking for the recipes. When I emailed that receipt and these photos, they responded with their business hours, they closed at 5pm.

VERY displeased with speck right now.

----------

If I did that, it would only get a few edges. It wouldn't get in the button recesses, or help with the lip on the bumper. That at it would probably void the warrantee.

Honestly, I loved my bumper cases, but if the card case worked out, I would switch to it. The apple bumpers looked great. My orange one was mistaken by friends as part of the phone.