Is this upgrade switcheroo procedure possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StephenCampbell, Sep 9, 2012.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I'm currently using an iPhone 4, contract free.

My friends iPhone 4S contract ends in May 2013.

The plan is for me to purchase the iPhone 5 at the fully subsidized price, and for him to end up with that phone and the new two year contract, and for me to end up with his 4S and the contract ending in May 2013.

If this is possible, I figure it works out well for me because I get a 4S now for free, I can sell my 32GB 4 for at least $200, and then I'm contract free again when the 5S comes out and can upgrade to that.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The problem is your 2 year contract will restart if you upgrade to the iPhone 5 on your line and device swap with your friend. Therefore, you won't be upgrade eligible for the 5S in one year.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

As Jay mentioned, the contract obligation doesn't follow the phone so in reality your buddy is getting the sweet deal--a brand new iPhone and eligibility to upgrade in May 2013.

4. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, if we did this, he would be buying me the 5S next year in a similar procedure.. so we'd just be trading back and forth between who has the newer phone... but if I don't do anything I simply remain contract free and purchase the 5S next year anyway...

I'd prefer he just wait until next year and we both get the iPhone 5S.. that seems to make the most sense.