Is this USB 3 hard drive suitable?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Clidsy, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Clidsy macrumors newbie

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

One hard drive for additional storage is OK, but you need another LARGER hard drive to backup everything to.

3. eoren1 macrumors 6502

For backup, that drive is fine. It is just slow...

I opted for the 512gb SSD for the OS and applications as well as working on photos. Planning to keep my User Folder on a 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO ssd in a OWC USB3 external. It's much pricier than the above but will be silent and 5-7 times faster than that drive.

4. Clidsy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Matreya - I have 2 backup drives already so that's fine.
    Eoren1 - Unfortunately, with the Mac weighing in at £2.4k I need to curb the spending for now. Are there better/faster USB 3 drives?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Pay attention to what matreya said above.

If you are going to use an external drive for "primary" storage (that is, data that does not exist on the internal drive), you also need a SECOND external BACKUP disk for that "external/primary" storage, as well as a backup for the internal drive.

So you really need TWO external drives.

How much "stuff" do have now, space-wise?

I'm wondering if a 1tb fusion drive setup (along with a 2tb external backup drive) wouldn't suit your needs better?

6. Clidsy thread starter macrumors newbie

As said I have 2 additional drives for backups x2. What I need in addition to my 512 is a USB permanently attached for additional files I use but not regularly. Everything on this drive and the 512gb would be backed up to my 2 regular backup drives.

As for stuff - it all currently sits on my internal 500gb hard drive but only just. I will need more room.

I don't want to consider a fusion - I had a hard drive fail in my current iMac and replaced it myself. Would rather avoid that again. Also, the 1TB fusion only has a small SSD which isn't good enough.

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

He doesn't want a fusion drive. I wouldn't want one either. I want any HD that spins external to the computer.