Is this virus protection actually a virus?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jent, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

My girlfriend downloaded a bunch of programs and I noticed her Windows installation was a lot slower than when it was fresh. She has an antivirus program called "Uniblue RegistryBooster" and I was wondering if that was a reputable antivirus program or something malicious. Thanks!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

try a google search on it; lots of results and reviews.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Uniblue RegistryBooster is actually a Windows registry cleaner. It is not a virus in itself. It is a utility that searches for and removes unused/"orphaned" Windows registry entries.

Registry cleaners are only occasionally useful, usually after uninstalling a bunch of programs. They usually serve no other purpose; they are not antivirus software. Registry cleaners have the ability to edit the Windows registry; they can inadvertently worsen your Windows system if a necessary entry is mistakenly removed. Thus, only "power users" use these cleaners regularly.

I recommend you uninstall it; it's not necessarily doing harm, but it's probably doing you no good, either, and just wasting disk space.